Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Profile edit does not update website field (fail)

• deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

When editing a profile (your own or others) the ‘website’ field does not update.

First name, Last name, Location, Occupation, Interests, work fine.

If I put in a website during registration it is added. However, if I try and edit this after registration the field goes blank again.

This in version 1.06a

I’ve also tried it in the latest version (using subversion), with default themes and my own, but no joy.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

Just noticed now that on *some* users I am unable to update their email address. There doesn’t appear to be a pattern as yet.

If they’ve previously posted, or short usernames doesn’t make any difference.

Is this a known bug?

Emails should have been fixed in #1004 (tested and I can change them just fine on 1.0a6-trunk).

I had thought we made one about the website, but … hrm. #1038 is opened.

deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

I’m not sure what the pattern is… we have one user by the name of Rex that won’t allow email address updates. That is the only one we’ve found, users like ‘tom’, or ‘Tom’ update fine.

FYI, this works in trunk now:

https://trac.bbpress.org/changeset/1930

Tom, is your bad email an account that’s being used by someone else? Can you change it to ‘foo@bazoo.com’?

deadlyhifi
    Participant

@tomdebruin

Yes, saw that it was fixed, thanks.

Just noticed that I couldn’t update ‘Rex’ because he had another account with the same email address which he must have made before I installed the ‘no duplicate email addresses’ plugin.

PJ Brunet
    Participant

@knowingart_com

I just installed the alpha and noticed the “Website” edit issue also, but I’m happy to hear that the website is saved for new registrations.

I guess now I need to find out how to reference a user’s website, so I can create some kind of “signature”

thanks for this!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

PJ Brunet
    Participant

@knowingart_com

@chrishajer thanks I’ll check that out.

But, I’d like to fix this problem because the URL of the “member” is very important to me. Should I start reading “https://plugins-dev.bbpress.org/” or? I’d like to help work on the code but I have no experience contributing to open source.

As it is now, the URL is not saved, it’s not even in the list on the profile page.

I’m guessing that’s the responsibility of the “bb_get_current_user_info( ‘id’ );” function?

I personally think clicking the member’s pic should take you to their profile, that would be more intuitive IMO. I wouldn’t expect to click the text “Member” to see a profile, and that makes even less sense if I give the member some custom name under his/her picture. Let’s say a member works for XYZ Inc. Now I want to show “XYZ Inc.” under his/her profile picture, a pretty typical use of the member’s custom title. To me it would make more sense to link “XYZ Inc.” to XYZ.com using the member’s URL. But the way you have it now, clicking “XYZ Inc.” takes you to his/her profile page, which doesn’t make sense to me.

You can change the post.php template page to make the avatar link to the profile.

I have it so the name links there and it works fine.

<a href="/forums/profile/<?php post_author_id(); ?>"><?php post_author(); ?></a>

As for the URL not updating, this is fixed in the Trunk build, but I don’t think it’s made it to the alpha yet. See https://trac.bbpress.org/changeset/1930

PJ Brunet
    Participant

@knowingart_com

Thanks Ipstenu, I didn’t realize post.php was what I needed. Using your code I came up with this…well the “code” tag isn’t working.

Now I have the picture and name linking to the profile. Next I want to link the “author_title” to the person’s URL, hopefully there’s a handy function to get the author’s URL.

KnowingArt_com, <?php post_author_link(); ?> will show a link to the post author’s page. I suspect you’d have to dig around with that source, but perhaps get_user_link( get_post_author_id( $post_id ) ) would help?

(code is between backticks, see the example just below the text window)

PJ Brunet
    Participant

@knowingart_com

OK, my server is undergoing some upgrades, but this is what I came up with:

<div class="threadauthor">
    <a href="/profile/<?php post_author_id(); ?>">
    <?php post_author_avatar(); ?><br />
    <?php post_author(); ?></a>
    <br />
    <!--<strong><?php post_author_link(); ?></strong><br />-->
    <a href="<?php echo(get_user_link(get_post_author_id($post_id))) ?>"><small><?php post_author_title(); ?></small></a>
    </div>

Now I’m going to change the URL back from numeric to the person’s username.

PJ Brunet
    Participant

@knowingart_com

I like this a little better ;-)

<div class="threadauthor">
    <a href="<?php echo get_user_profile_link(get_post_author_id()) ?>">
    <?php post_author_avatar(); ?><br />
    <?php post_author(); ?></a>
    <br />
    <a href="<?php echo get_user_link(get_post_author_id()) ?>"><small><?php post_author_title(); ?></small></a>
    </div>

Hiranthi
    Participant

@illutic

I integrated bbPress 0.9.0.4 with WP2.7.1 this weekend and everything seemed to work fine (apart from a few bbPress plugins I downloaded). Yesterday two users emailed me that they couldn’t edit their website anymore (in the WP backend, dunno about the bbPress backend, but since I have ’em integrated..).

For some reason I’m getting an ‘invalid user id’ message when I try to edit it (as administrator) through the WP backend..

I know that before I integrated with bbPress it did work and I didn’t get the message, so this must be a bbPress issue too.. Guess I’ll have to change it in the db until v1 is stable..

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar