Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Process for making unique BBP page, css

• judy1950
    Participant

@judy1950

I have a WordPress site (3.4.2) which uses a premium theme that I want to keep. I just activated the BBPress plugin (ver 2.1.2) and created a forum and topic etc. The forum and topic pages appear and look ok, but I would like to customize the template and css that is being used in this. I am finding BBP documentation on this somewhat confusing.

My Plan: I will create my own BBP template based on page.php from my main theme and modify the layout etc.

To implement this new template I create, I am guessing that I can replace $new_template (shown below; code taken from bhp-template-loader.php (wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-includes) with the name of my new template, such as “bbp-new-page.php”). Is this correct?

// bbPress template file exists
    if ( !empty( $new_template ) ) {

// Override the WordPress template with a bbPress one
        $template = $new_template;

And to modify the css, I can simply hack “bbpress.css” (wp-content/plugins/bbpress/
    bbp-theme-compat/css/bbpress.css)?

This approach seems really hacky/inelegant however.

On a slightly separate note, it appears that implementing the steps for theme-compatibility (http://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility) are necessary only if you are going to use a single (custom) theme (or child theme?) for both WP and BBP?

Finding it a little confusing to untangle the methods and their purposes in BBP theming.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
    Judy Wilson
    Nashville TN

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.