Categories
Search
Bottom

Problems with character set after upgrade

• Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

Hi,

I’ve just tested an upgrade of my bbPress 0.8.2.1 forum. The upgrade goes to bbPress 0.9.0.4, but after the upgrade has finished and the upgrade/installation script has asked, and been given permission, to upgrade the database, it seems like theres some problems with special characters. The forum is in danish, and therefore æ, ø and å is very common, but after the upgrade they just show up as their respective UTF8 codes. I can’t figure out, and but the header and my browser is set to UTF8.

I can tell, that the forum was and still are in UTF8, but the collation on the database tables is latin1_swedish_ci

Anyone with an idea of the problem?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Are you using a shared DB with WordPress and, if so, did you happen to use Fantastico or some other installer app to install it?

I’ve seen that (latin1_swedish_ci) borking recently with a weird WP install, but not with BBPress.

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

Nope, it’s not shared or anything.. but it seems like being a problem between what character set of data bbPress thinks it getting and what it actually get. I’ll try working on it, and see what happends..

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

I’ve solved the problem, by defining charset as latin1_swedish_ci and collate as utf8, even though I would been it should have been the other way around – or am I wrong?

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Those settings are wrong. The charset and collation should match what your DB actually is.

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

Hi again,

Very strange – it worked for a while, and then broke completly down. I then deleted the database-copy, made a new copy and installed bbPress again, and now it works, with the correct settings. As far as for now, I can’t say anything about what went wrong. But thanks for your replies!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar