Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Problems trying to install

• ibexy
    Participant

@ibexy

First I had problem realising bbpress was not just a plugin. I dont have to install it in the plugin directory. The installation instructions here did not specify that. It just said “Upload the uncompressed files to your server”. Anyway that is sorted now – I think. I uploaded the bbpress folder and renamed it ‘forums’ to the root of my wordpress installation.

I tried to install. The first step is asking me for database name, user, and password. Is this for my existing wordpress installation? I assumed so and supplied these details but am getting this error msg:

There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.

Please check the settings, then try again.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • They should be the ones that you use for the database connection for WordPress, yes. If you need to double-check them, look at the wp-config.php and copy them from there.

I’m very new at this. I’m unclear where specifically to put the bbpress folder so that it will properly interface as an addition to my wordpress blog. Can you please advise in which directory the bbpress folder should sit?

thank you.

In WordPress the folders are wp-admin, wp-content, and wp-includes. You should add a folder called forums or forum and upload everything inside of “bbpress” folder you downloaded. Ultimately you will have in the forum or forums folder bb-admin, bb-includes, etc etc. In WordPress you will now have forums (or forum), wp-admin, wp-content, and wp-includes

Thank you so much. That is helpful. Will I quickly be getting in ‘over my head’ by doing this myself or is it doable for a newbee?

It’s doable. Just don’t be scared of it.

I love that response! I’ll be brave. Can I bother you along the way with questions?

I’ve uploaded the folder as you instructed and it sits along side wp-admin, content, and includes.

I’m now at… “Visit the intended URL of the bbPress site” I assume that is my URL where the forum will be located, but I’m not being greeted with the installer. Am I going to the right place?

should be your wordpress site plus the folder name mysite.com/forum

This is the error I get

The requested URL /blog/forum was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

However, all the bbpress files uploaded successfully to the forum folder on my server and mysite.com can be found. So what might be the issue if the forum folder is there on the server but giving me a 404 error?

Never mind. I figured it out. thanks.

I’m getting the error

There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.

Please check the settings, then try again.

just like above. I looked in the wp-config.php and copied them from there. I’ve tried placing the simple names themselves and also using DB_name, DB_user, and DB_password. I continue to get that error. What might the issue be?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The constants have different names in wp-config.php and bb-config.php. Just copy and paste the VALUES not the whole line.

bb-config.php:

define( 'BBDB_NAME', '123456789' );
    define( 'BBDB_USER', '987654321' );
    define( 'BBDB_PASSWORD', 'goodpassword' );
    define( 'BBDB_HOST', 'localhost or something else' );

wp-config.php:

define('DB_NAME', '123456789');
    define('DB_USER', '987654321');
    define('DB_PASSWORD', 'goodpassword');
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost or something else');

For bbPress, the constants are name BBDB_ and for WordPress they’re just DB_. You can copy and paste the values, but make sure you don’t change the names from BBDB_ in your bb-config.php.

Hi Chris, THANK YOU While you were writing your response I just did this and it seems to be working now. THANK YOU.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar