Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Problems marking topic as private?

• mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

I’m trying to mark a topic as private via the wordpress visibility options so that only the topic author and admins can read it. After marking it as private the topic text (post content) is only visible to the author (not even admin / keymaster can see it).

I found this post which seems to be semi-related.
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2088

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

could be plugin or theme related

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

I’ve tried everything you said. Deactivated everything but bbpress, switched to twentytwelve and did it all again on my localhost test area.

Any other ideas on what may be causing this? Or any other way of making private topics inside a public forum?

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

This is the exact problem I’m having;

http://wpimpact.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/private-not-private.png

As you can see, admin can no longer see the topic text when set to private.

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

Have been trying to figure this out on my own for 2 days now. Still can’t get it to work 🙁

Any further suggestions are welcome.

As per the ticket you linked in your post #2088, this should be fixed.

I’ll take a closer look at this when I get a chance.

Detailed reproduction steps would be helpful so I am trying the same things you are 🙂

eg.

1. Create a topic with user ‘x’ who has a bbPress role of ‘participant’
    2. …
    3. …
    4. etc…

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

These are the steps I took on my local test area to recreate the problem;

– latest version of both WP and BBpress
    – both are fresh installs
    – using twentyfourteen theme
    – no child themes

1. Create a public category
    2. Create a public forum
    3. Make a topic on participant user
    4. Mark the topic as private on keymaster account – via wordpress visibility
    5. Try to read topic on keymaster account. It will show up in the topic loop, but when you click on the specific topic to read it the topic content will not show.
    6. Try and read the topic on the participant (author) account and everything shows fine.

Confirmed, thanks for the detailed steps, makes it so much easier to replicate 🙂

Patched and fixed for bbPress 2.6 via https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2593

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

This is great to hear! Thanks 😀

Is there anyway to download the development version? Or edit files to fix this manually until the update is public?

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

Nevermind, found the svn url.

Thanks again!

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

Should this patch allow anyone who has the read_private_replies cap to see topic content? or just the Admin / keymaster?

I applied the code and it fixed it for admin/keymasters but not for a custom role with read_private_replies cap.

The patch should work fine for any user with the capability read_private_replies which includes the included bbPress Keymaster and Moderator. Are you sure the user/role you are using has the read_private_replies capability?

Install this plugin and navigate to the users profile in the WordPress dashboard to confirm the role and capability of a user.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-capabilities/

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

I checked the user capabilities using the plugin you linked. The user has read_private_replies.

I also did some further testing and it seems that only users marked as administrator in wordpress can view private topic content. Users marked as Keymaster are unable to view private topic content.

mlocke90
    Participant

@mlocke90

Here are some pictures to better explain what is happening;
    *Sorry everything looks so bad, had child theme disabled while testing.*

Viewing a topic as a user with administrator via wordpress – works as intended.

View post on imgur.com

Viewing a topic as a user marked as subscriber via wordpress and keymaster via bbpress. – topic content does not show.

View post on imgur.com

Again, thank-you so much!

Thanks for this, partially confirmed what you are seeing, I am going to reply in the ticket so we can track this explicitly in a single location, if you could keep your feedback to that ticket in future that would be great.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2593

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar