Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Problems Following Implementation Guide Lines

• demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

I have version 2.0 but can’t for the life of me get my theme to be picked up. I have followed the guide here: bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-theme-compatibility as best I could but there are some things not well explained. This is what I have done so far:

1. Copied all the files from /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/ and placed into the root of my theme (wp-content/themes/mytheme/)

2. Copied the .js and .css files from the /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/css/ and /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/js/ folders into the root of my theme (wp-content/themes/mytheme/)

3. I also copied the content of style.css from the bbp-twenty-ten theme into my own css file, which also sits in wp-content/themes/mytheme/

4. I copied the entire contents of functions.php from the bbp-twenty-ten folder to my own theme functions.php, which also sits in the root of my theme folder.

All that displays is the ‘Forums’ header but no content.

What am I doing wrong? Have I placed something wrong somewhere? Should I have copied the whole bbp-twentyten folder itself into the root of my theme folder? What is that first page that gets served up when hitting http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/? Is it page-front-forums.php and should that be sitting in the root of my theme as it is currently?

I’m also confused my the functions.php where it says:

// Setup the theme path

$this->dir = $bbp->themes_dir . ‘/bbp-twentyten’;

// Setup the theme URL

$this->url = $bbp->themes_url . ‘/bbp-twentyten’;

Following this, I’ve tried copying bbp-twentyten folder into the root of my theme, but still nothing.

Yours, quite confused.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Hey guys, I’m struggling here and could really do with some help…

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Anyone?

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

So far I’ve only set up forums using shortcodes, but I’d guess you need to change the code listed

// Setup the theme path

// Setup the theme URL

to

// Setup the theme path

$this->dir = $bbp->themes_dir . ‘/mytheme’;

// Setup the theme URL

$this->url = $bbp->themes_url . ‘/mytheme’;

Again, I’m guessing and haven’t attempted what you are doing.

I have version 2.0 but can’t for the life of me get my theme to be picked up. I have followed the guide here: bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-theme-compatibility as best I could but there are some things not well explained. This is what I have done so far:

Great, you find that!

1. Copied all the files from /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/ and placed into the root of my theme (wp-content/themes/mytheme/)

Correct, beware of replacing files by accident. Usually you will have 2 file left style.css and functions.php

2. Copied the .js and .css files from the /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/css/ and /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/js/ folders into the root of my theme (wp-content/themes/mytheme/)

Correct!

3. I also copied the content of style.css from the bbp-twenty-ten theme into my own css file, which also sits in wp-content/themes/mytheme/

Yes, add it at the bottom of the file.

4. I copied the entire contents of functions.php from the bbp-twenty-ten folder to my own theme functions.php, which also sits in the root of my theme folder.

Don’t do that. Just add this to your functions.php file:

add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );

All that displays is the ‘Forums’ header but no content.

You need to make some forum first withing WordPress admin dashboard then you will have some content when you display the forum itself..

What am I doing wrong? Have I placed something wrong somewhere? Should I have copied the whole bbp-twentyten folder itself into the root of my theme folder? What is that first page that gets served up when hitting http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/? Is it page-front-forums.php and should that be sitting in the root of my theme as it is currently?

I’m also confused my the functions.php where it says:

// Setup the theme path

// Setup the theme URL

Following this, I’ve tried copying bbp-twentyten folder into the root of my theme, but still nothing.

Yours, quite confused.

Don’t do that. Skip this.

After you do above that I recommend, tell me the result.

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Thank you for your replies, appreciated.

@Andre – I understand your logic. However for the sake of this set-up I already have a folder called ‘/bbp-twentyten’ in my theme folder, so providing I keep the call to that folder in my main theme’s functions.php, that should work. However it doesn’t.

@noerman – I have already created a forum. In fact before I started messing around with my themes I was able to view my forums.

What is odd is that if I go to the URL of a forum, the title is picked up. However nothing inside it is.

E.G.: http://www.followtheboat.com/forums/forum/followtheboat-writers/

This appears to suggest that something in my stylesheet is amiss, but if I use Firebug there isn’t even an empty layer element. I just don’t understand why, since uploading some themes and functions to my main theme, I’ve suddenly lost half my forum.

If you have any further suggestions please do let me know. I am literally pulling my hair out here.

Permalinks! Have you save it for WordPress and also bbPress?

First, you never lose your forums post unless yo delete it. It just not shows, that all.

Can you describe more about your problems? Start from the beginning.

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Permalinks doesn’t come into it as this was working before I started uploading a theme. However I think I have solved the issue, and of course it was very straightforward! Quite simply I had not copied the bbpress folder into my theme’s folder as I assumed this was a theme in itself.

Of course I wouldn’t have worked this out if I had not attempted to follow through your suggestions, so thank you for helping me work out my own stupid mistake ;)

Glad you solve it, I just started new forum using bbPress too and this forum is the only one where we can find answers, so lets help each others.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar