Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Private messages

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • That plugin is for the old stand alone bbPress v1.x, you should look at https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ to find if a plugin exists to use with ‘bbPress Plugin v2.x’

Unconformed

@unconformed

Thanks for letting me know.

Having the ability to send private messages in forums, surely there is a well know soloution for this technology?

I would like to do so without giving users access to the backend of the site.

I have had a pretty good look around, could someone do me a massive and have a look also?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

BuddyPress is pretty much your best option right now. Though it’s setup and theme’ing is not currently as elegant as bbPress is.

Unconformed

@unconformed

Hi John

I don;t understand? I have a wordpress site, using bbpress as a Forum (I don;t really get bbpress, is it just a forum?). I would rather not reinstall a whole new forum. I have a self hosted version of wordpress, creating a new site with buddy press is not an option for me (it’s a social network building block right?)

Surely there is Pm functionality for this forum?> It’s a forum!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Forums, are forums. If you want social network type features, you’ll need social network type software. BuddyPress is a plugin, just like bbPress is, though it’s a bit more demanding in how it integrates with existing sites and themes.

We’re working on making theme integration easier in the next major release of BuddyPress.

Unconformed

@unconformed

Hey man – i am not critical of your work at all, it’s awesome to use it for free, thank you!

I am just saying, that I have been using forums for a very ling time, and almost every forum I have used has the ability to send PMs between users.

Unconformed

@unconformed

hold on are you from buddypress, bbpress or both?

radi_v
    Participant

@radi_v

PM is a standard forum feature. When should we expect to see it added to the bbPress plugin?

dragan.filipovic
    Participant

@draganfilipovic

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-private-replies/
    Only private replays to public topics. (can be seen by topic creator, moderators and user who post it)
    Im also looking for private messaging plugin for bbpress.
    Or private topics – same as private replays, but for whole topic.

dragan.filipovic
    Participant

@draganfilipovic

Only solution I found is to use Buddypress. When u install Buddypress u can choose which part to use. Check only Private Messaging and Forum. thats it. Now you’ll have your old forum and new function PM.
    PM button is not in the post, you need to click on the username first, but it’s probably not so difficult to integrate it in the posts.

BerryReview
    Participant

@rhalevy

Any chance a developer is working on a PM solution for BBPress. Its a real shame that there is nothing available. We finally made the jump and it seems like this is the main feature BBPress 2.0 is missing when compared to other forum systems. I love that we finally have built in email replies but private messaging is what really builds a community.

dubbinz
    Participant

@dubbinz

I totally agree, this is a much needed function and is included in the majority of forums software. I am constantly asked for this and I cannot do anything about it. I really hope this ships with bbpress2 in the near future and I hope that developers of this great software take my request and the OP’s request to heart. The proof is in the pudding so to speak, if you look at the votes on this page you will see most people voting for BBPM to be updated for bbpress http://nightgunner5.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/bbpm-plugin-plugin/

this is a necessary update we all need.

Nate
    Participant

@caming

Add me to this list of bbPress needing the messaging functionality. We have over a thousand users and just moved from forum software built 9 years ago to bbPress, and messaging was considered a fundamental feature. Every other piece of competing forum software out there includes messaging.

I’ve been running this successful forum for close to 15 years and I’m a digital marketing manager for a living. It could be argued that I know what I’m talking about.

I fully understand that bbPress wants to keep it lean & mean, yet we have odd, little-used features built into core like Twitter & YouTube embedding. But really obvious items, like quoting, signature files and private messaging, require separate plug-ins? There’s some logical missteps in there. What’s up with Yahoo, Jabber and AIM still having fields? NO ONE USES THOSE SERVICES ANY MORE. Even dropping the Visual editor (in 2013?) in the latest release is a step back.

(A note on Avatars: Listen guys, this expectation of users to register an account with another service like Gravatr, and then return to their account with our site, is clumsy and far-fetched at best. Again, a separate plugin for Avatar? C’mon)

With that said, I switched to bbPress because I think the code is more pure and I think it has better longevity due to its affiliation with WP. It isn’t clunky and bloated. The SEO options for WP sites in general are more impressive, and there’s a wide support community – and I knew it would be intuitive and relatively painless for myself and my team.

Would love to get JJJ’s take and that of others.

If you need messaging, activate BuddyPress and enable the messaging component.

We have no plans to bring private messaging to bbPress.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Private messages’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar