Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Posts do not appear in topics after Buddypress migration

• ikidre
    Participant

@ikidre

I just migrated my legacy Buddypress forums to bbPress, and at first it seemed that everything was working great. Then I clicked on a topic and saw the notice info, and the reply form, but I presume that posts should be displaying in between. There’s nothing there in the code (so it’s not a CSS issue).

I created a brand new forum, a brand new topic, which you should be able to see here: http://atdp.berkeley.edu/forums/topic/test-topic-2/
    There should be two posts (the topic post and a reply), but there’s nothing.

We use Buddypress groups, and the group forums have the same behavior. The forum and topic ULs look like they imported fine, but no posts appear when you click on a topic. So the symptoms persist for both pre- and post-migration forums, and for both group and site-wide forums.

I can see all topics and replies just fine in the backend and in the database, though it’s confused me that posts seem to be saved in the wp_posts table, not wp_bb_posts. I also can’t figure out where the new forum gets saved, because it’s not in wp_bb_forums, nor do new topics appear in wp_bb_topics. Anyway, they appear in Buddypress activity streams, and I can edit them in the backend, so it seems they’re just not making it to the page.

I’m using the theme Custom Community 1.17.3, and thought maybe that was the issue. Nope. Same exact behavior with Twenty Twelve and the default Buddypress theme.

I went through the standard toggling of plug-ins and saw no change.

WP version is 3.6.1, Buddypress 1.8.1, and bbPress 2.4. I updated to 2.4.1 in the hopes that that might fix something, but nope. I closely followed these instructions for migrating my data.

I’d love some troubleshooting ideas, because I’m about out!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I can see all topics and replies just fine in the backend and in the database, though it’s confused me that posts seem to be saved in the wp_posts table, not wp_bb_posts. I also can’t figure out where the new forum gets saved, because it’s not in wp_bb_forums, nor do new topics appear in wp_bb_topics. Anyway, they appear in Buddypress activity streams, and I can edit them in the backend, so it seems they’re just not making it to the page.

This is correct, bbPress plugin 2.x no longer stores the data in the old BuddyPress DB tables, each type is a WordPress custom post type ‘forum’, ‘topic’ & ‘reply’ which you would see in the wp_posts table.

After the import did you run the repair tools?
    https://codex.bbpress.org/repair-forums/
    If not (or even if you did) it would be a good idea to run each of these.

ikidre
    Participant

@ikidre

Yep, I ran all the repair options per Buddypress’s instructions. I ran them a second time after I discovered this issue. I created that test forum after that point, so I ran them again just now for fun. Still no change. 🙁

The only next steps I can think of are to hit that ominous “Reset bbPress” button or dig up my backups and just try again.

Looking at the source of http://atdp.berkeley.edu/forums/topic/test-topic-2/ the ‘content’ looks like its getting nuked either directly by your theme or by the plugin ‘W3 Total Cache’

Can you switch to Twenty Eleven/Twelve/Thirteen and see if you get your content back?

If no go there, disable the ‘W3 Total Cache’ plugin and try that as there are some issues running ‘cache’ plugins with bbPress see this for more info on that.

ikidre
    Participant

@ikidre

Eureka!

Sorry for my potential idiocy. I think it came down to the fact that I left WC Cache running while I was troubleshooting all the other plugins. Once I left it off, I was eventually able to track down the culprit: an old plugin called “Frontpage category filter” (which wasn’t even doing anything so far as I could tell).

Everything seems to be fine now, no problems with Custom Community or the cache.

Thanks a million!

Cool… Glad its sorted 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar