Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Posts disappear when edited (bbPress beta b2)

• Hi there,

We are experiencing really odd behavior on our WordPress 3.1.2+bbPress 2 beta 2b installation. People can post replies, but when they edit them, they disappear from the topic. They are, however, still counted towards the “posts in topic”-count, and I can find the posts in the admin console (“Replies”), but they don’t show up in the threads.

If anyone would be able to help me out with this, I would be eternally grateful – we were planning on launching the site by the coming weekend (5th of June, 2011).

Admin-access to the site is of course no problem either.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Update: I can’t edit posts that are the first one in a new topic either. The page just refreshes and I’m back where I was when I click “Edit” on such posts.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

What are your permalinks set to? I’m going to go out on a limb and guess:

/%category%/%postname%/

Almost, yeah :)

/%year%/%category%/%postname%/

This is the .htaccess:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It appears any permastruct with…

/%category%/

…in it is plagued with this issue.

Can you remove that from your structure and try again? If that fixes it, then an obvious work-around for now is not to use the category name in your permalinks. Thinking it’s a WP core issue, but need to look deeper into $wp_rewrite

(p.s. – I deleted your posts from the other topic, as it was an unrelated issue)

I’m glad to report that this fixed all my issues with bbPress 2.0 beta 2b. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Score. :)

Keep in touch and definitely report back anything else you find.

Will do – thank you for the masterful quick response (and a working solution right off the bat :)

My only other question in terms of bbPress is how to set it up so that new posts in particular categories are automatically added as new topics in respective parts of the forum.. but that’s not at all related to my original issue, so I’m breaking the thread here (feel free to point me in the right direction though :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

A piggy-back plugin could be created, to monitor the blog post entry, check which category it’s going into, and then at the same time create the topic. It would need some kind of interface to map blog categories to forums, and you’d need to figure out how to handle edits, etc…

An easier solution, might be to use your blog posts AS the forums, and attach the topics directly to them instead. That should be possible too, although I haven’t tested it extensively.

Thanks for the tip. I’m talking with my developer now, and it seems we’ll go for making a plugin.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar