Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin – Private Messages

• ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

This plugin enables private messaging for BBPress. For usage instructions, view the readme inside the zip file.

Features:

• Inbox and Sent Box
    • Ability to delete messages before other user reads it
    • Link on front page tells you how many new messages you have
    • Visible representation of when a message hasn’t been seen (in your inbox and sent box)
    • Reply functionality
    • Send user PM from a post in a forum

To download the plugin, visit http://faq.rayd.org/bbpress_private_message/

To see the plugin in action, visit http://www.rayd.org/forums/ (you must signup to see it)

I have tested this on my own server, but if you have any problems with installation, let me know. I will be monitoring this thread, but you can also go to my forums and post questions there.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Hey, no dice. I compared your version to mine and it looks like it had a couple of mod_rewrite fixes, but didn’t see anything else. Error still occurs.

I’ll take it back out of my template and watch this thread. Thanks for your help! :)

Ah dang, I remember which one it was now.. it was the message.php file.. I’ll upload a copy of mine once.. and report back here..

spencerp

Here, try this once..

http://spencerp.net/downloads/message.php.txt

Copy/Paste into the original one of course.. into the forum’s root directory.. like normal. :);) That *should* work lol.. And it’s no problem.. I love helping people.. ;) :)

spencerp

/If that don’t work either.. I’m going to scream lmao. I’m trying to get Josh on GoogleTalk, but he must be busy or something.. sigh. Hopefully he comes in here soon lol..

Spencer, if I could reach you, I’d hug you! :)

That fixed it, thanks so much! :D

[blushing].. Hehe.. I guess I could always come over there then.. LOL Hahaha.. Nah, just kidding, I don’t think your man would like that too much lol! =P Anyway, I’m glad to hear that fixed it.. :) ;)

spencerp

LOL, probably not. He’d be thinking “Who is this guy, and why is he hugging my fiancee?”

:)

Hahahaha.. Yeah, that wouldn’t be good! “We” wouldn’t want that now, lol. =P Fiancee? Congrats on that! ;) :)

spencerp

hehe, thanks. :)

I just found a small issue with this plugin: when no title for the message is given it still sends the message but the link to read it is invisibe (since it’s just <a></a> with nothing in between.

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

Good catch d3x7ro.

And I didn’t see all that back and forth between spencer and nitallica til now (sorry). I have to fix the PM plugin for better WPMU support like I did memberlist. That’s next on my list, I just haven’t had a chance yet. Hopefully soon though.

Looking forward to your update. :)

Hi Everyone.

I’m trying to install this on my forum but getting the following message when I try and run the /pm.php file:

bbPress database error: [Table ‘db189779439.p2tbb_privatemessages’ doesn’t exist]

SELECT * FROM p2tbb_privatemessages WHERE id_receiver = 1 ORDER BY created_on DESC

bbPress database error: [Table ‘db189779439.p2tbb_privatemessages’ doesn’t exist]

SELECT * FROM p2tbb_privatemessages WHERE id_sender = 1 ORDER BY created_on DESC

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: bb_load_template() in /homepages/34/d139864185/htdocs/pig2twig.lineindustries.net/forums/pm.php on line 19

I’m sure all files are in the correct locations. Is this due to the WP integration issue discussed above? Does anyone know how to fix? I’m guessing I could create the tables manually but suspect I’ll still get the Fatal Error to the undefined function.

Thanks for any help. Tim

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

Sorry man, I updated the plugin 2 days ago to be compatible with the new .80 release of bbpress. You’ll have to get the most recent .73 version. If you can’t figure out how to get it from /plugins, you can go to http://faq.rayd.org/bbpress_private_message/

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

PS. Or you can install the trac version of bbpress… or just wait for when .80 comes out (I wouldn’t suggest this since it was supposed to come out 2 days ago and, well… here we are)

Thanks guys – I’ve installed .73 and we appear to be closer. It now at least renders the page but still doesn’t create the database table and hence gives the follwoing error…

SELECT * FROM p2tbb_privatemessages WHERE id_receiver = 1 ORDER BY created_on DESC

SELECT * FROM p2tbb_privatemessages WHERE id_sender = 1 ORDER BY created_on DESC

Can I just manually add the table to the database? I have bbpress integrated with Word Press if that makes any difference. Your help is much appreciated.

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

Looks like the table is there and you’re running into the WPMU bug that I believe Trent and/or spencer talk about in this thread.

Actually, spencer posted a fix for it here :

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/401/page/2?replies=66#post-2733

Sorry about the bug. I highly suggest upgrading to .80 as soon as that version of bbpress is released. It addresses that issue.

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

PS. oh, on second thought, maybe your tables aren’t created? Open up your mysql and check if _privatemessages is there. If not, you can open bb-privatemessages.php and look at the first function in that file. It gives the layout of the tables.

Cheers. I’ll try this first thing tommorrow. No problems – will be great to have private messaging. Thanks for the plugin and the help!

A big cheers to ardentfrost. I’ve upgraded to 0.8 and now have private messages working. Thank you!

I upgraded to .80, and used the .80 version of the plugin, but unfortunately I am still having the same erorrs with wpmu integration.

At the top of my pm page it displays:

bbPress database error: [Table ‘suleiman_bbpress.bb_users’ doesn’t exist]

SELECT * FROM bb_users WHERE ID = 1

In addition, when I send a message it gives me the following error in the table displaying “Sent Messages” under the “To” column:

bb_get_user needs a numeric ID

Interestingly enough, if I go into phpMyAdmin and browse the bb_privatemessages table, I can see that my posts have values for pm_id, and id_sender, but id_receiver has a 0 value. So too, predictably does “seen”

Tried installing this plugin on our forums and having problems. First had problem with db errors and now when you click on the private message link and it goes to pm.php it is just a blank screen. any ideas what went wrong? url for forums is http://www.netsleds.com/netsleds_forums

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

Sorry, I just saw these 2 posts.

Suleiman, the “seen” is just a boolean value that tells whether or not the receiver of the PM has opened the message or not. It should be expected for it to have some zeros on there if no one can see their PMs. As for id_receiver, do you have someone with an id of zero? Or all they all zeros, even those to multiple people?

Sometimes the best way to work through the problems is to do it through IMs, so if you’d like to do that, just let me know. We can get it working for you.

Netsleds, there should be DB errors the first time you install the plugin, but that’s just for when the tables are being created. Upon refresh, they should go away (I assume they did?). As for your problem of it being a blank page, that is certainly strange. It’s not showing anything in the source, even the header or footer, which makes me think you might not have the template files in the correct place. Do you have them in the directory of the template you’re using?

I do have the template files in /my-template/ folder (I even put them in the default template directory too), I am using mod-rewrite, and when I initially set up the pm plugin, the database did not install, so I grabbed the query from the bb-privatemessage.php file to create the bb_privatemessage table and when I ran the query it gave me an error with the “message” column saying

“#1074 – Too big column length for column ‘message’ (max = 255). Use BLOB instead”

So I set it to BLOB and Even tried LONGTEXT. I don’t see if it would make a difference or not, but maybe that is why?

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

it should really only care about the name of the column. Even if you set it to int, it would get some values (they wouldn’t make any sense however).

I’m pretty sure in .80 of bbpress you have to have the template folder inside my-templates. So those files should be in my-templates/[your template here]. The function that gets the location only returns the location of the template folder.

Plus when you load /pm.php you don’t get any errors, just nothing is displayed in the source. I bet if you added an echo to say “hello” in pm.php it would be displayed. I bet if you added an echo below the file call for privatemessages.php you wouldn’t get jack. If that’s the case, that means the function is unable to find privatemessages.php and is halting.

I should have come up with some way to display something if it can’t find the file. I’ll release that in the next version… but for now it seems most likely to me either the files aren’t in the correct place or something affecting it’s ability to find the files has occurred.

ardent, i’d love to get this fixed over IM.

Add me to gchat, msuleimankhan is my handle.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin – Private Messages’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar