Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin Install

• aberrantphoto

@aberrantphoto

Hello,

I’ve installed the plugin on my site, which has a custom theme, but after following the installation instructions found here: http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-theme-compatibility, all I get is a blank page if I view the forum. So, I deactivated the plugin, deleted, and reinstalled. This time I DID NOT copy any files into my theme directory, just left it as is.

Now, If I place some shortcode such as [bbp-forum-index] on one of my current wordpress pages, it will show, but once I click on one of the topics, it brings me to the blank page again! I’m tearing my hair out here trying to figure this out..I thought it would be a lot easier as I work on WP sites all the time.

Here is the link to the forum that is blank:

http://foreverathletes.com/forums/forum/community-2/

Can somebody help me out? Again, I tried this route:

If this is not a custom theme under your control (meaning you are not the author) you’ll want to copy the entire “/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten” folder into your “wp-content/themes/%YOURTHEMENAME%” folder, and modify your style.css to make it a custom Child Theme of whatever your current theme is. This is so theme updates don’t wipe out all your hard work later.

…But couldn’t figure out how to make the style.css work…I modified the style.css inside of the bbp-twentyten so that the Template name matched my theme name, but this did not work. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• aberrantphoto

@aberrantphoto

Anybody help me out here? Is it possible for a theme to just not be compatible?

aberrantphoto

@aberrantphoto

Update:

I created a child theme of my current theme with an appropriate style.css file in the child theme folder. I’ve placed the bbp-twentyten folder in the parent theme folder (not child), but should it go in the child theme folder? And do I edit the style.css file inside of the bbp-twentyten folder at all?

aberrantphoto

@aberrantphoto

Don’t want this topic pushed to the next page, so bumping it. Anybody have any ideas at all? It’s awfully quiet in here!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This forum moves much too slowly to need to bump your topic 4 times in less than 24 hours.

You should research what child themes are and how to use them first. Then go back and follow the instructions. If you still have a folder somewhere in you wp-content/themes folder named bbp-twentynen, you skipped some steps.

aberrantphoto

@aberrantphoto

John,

I’m going back through the original theme compatibility topic. I’ve noticed some of the answers are in the comments section of that thread. I do know how to use child themes, I just believe the instructions for the custom install are worded in a confusing way. Thanks for the response.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If you can offer up some clarification, I’ll edit the post so it makes more sense. :)

aberrantphoto

@aberrantphoto

Hi John,

I got my forums to show after following the install steps again. I copied the files from the bbp-twentyten folder to my main theme folder and then added the line: add_theme_support( ‘bbpress’ );

to my functions.php file (inside this main theme folder, not the one in wp-includes…I’m assuming this is correct?)

The forum now shows, but the styling is all messed up. Is there any way to have the forum follow the formatting/style of my current theme without having to edit a bunch of CSS? The theme I’m using is a custom build which I did not create so it’s been a struggle to figure out what’s going on with it. Here’s a link to my forum page:

http://foreverathletes.com/forums/forum/community-2/

If I merge the contents of the bbp-twentyten functions.php file with my own functions.php, some styling is brought in, but it’s still a mess. I realize you’re not here to help with design aspects, but is there any way to get the plugin to just work with my current styling?

I’ll offer up some points on clarification in a few.

Thanks for the help.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar