Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin Idea: Daily New Topics Digest

• One of the things that most other forums have is a feature to subscribe to the digest version of the forum’s new topics.

Obviously more technical users will subscribe through RSS, but for most non-techs they’d still prefer email. Could be a nice feature to get people to come back to the forum.

As far as specs go, the email should only contain the topic posts, and none of the replies, and give them an unsubscribe link at the bottom, and a link to the forum itself.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I guess you’ll see that the way it works around here is you get the idea, you volunteer to make the plugin ;-)

Start coding. But seriously, without cron jobs or pseudo cron it will be tricky to do this. A plugin would have to check the time of day each time it runs and then keep whatever user is currently visiting on a delay while it emails however many people. This can be problematic. What if the site is fairly idle at that time when it should email and noone is visiting? What if there are 100 emails to send, will the people be kept waiting over a minute or two?

Personally I’m just using yahoo rss to email alerts. It watchs the rss feed for you for changes.

But this plugin could be easily changed to have two checkboxes, one to just email a summary at end of day, vs when it happens:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/23

http://www.la-school.com/2006/bbpress-notification/

this is exactly what i need

i need some more operation in email notification

like subscribe to new topics digits daily monthly or …

and for every new post

exactly something like google or yahoo groups

Since this topic tops Google SERP, just to note that for bbPress 2.0 (ie. bbPress as a WordPress plugin), there is a plugin bbPress Digest that does something similar as requested in first post.

Thanks for the link to the plugin. Feel free to start a new thread about it, locking this one as its 4 years old :)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar