Categories
Search
Bottom

page.php as template

• Fulgence Ridal
    Participant

@theeponymus

Hello,

it seems that bbpress use page.php as template to show the forum …
    is there a way to create a custom page as template ?

thx

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Create a custom archive file called archive-forum.php

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You have several options, but the easiest is to make a ‘bbpress.php’ at the root of your theme. It will act as a wrapper for your entire forums.

Phill
    Participant

@sharkbites

With the bbpress.php would I just paste the page.php code into it and then adjust it from there? I’m too having sidebar issues.

Fulgence Ridal
    Participant

@theeponymus

thx …
    very useful informations … 😉

Gary3000
    Participant

@gary3000

(withdrew my question)

• This reply was modified 11 years, 5 months ago by Gary3000.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

If you use the bbp-theme-compat theme you can copy some template files from the plugin directory to your theme directory.

This way bbPress can get updates in the future while your custom edits will not disappear because of the updates to the plugin.

https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/
    (read the last part.)

Only thing is, there is a template file that’s named like this: page-front-forums.php everybody thinks this is the default template that will be shown when you have an url like this.
    http://example.com/forums/

But that’s not true, this template is only used when you use bbPress (the forum index page) as a homepage for your WordPress site.
    If you use the forums (index) page as a separated page like my ‘example.com’ url above bbPress uses the archive-forum.php template.

What you can do very easy is copy-/paste the archive-forum.php template from the wp-content > plugins > bbpress > bbp-theme-compat > extras > directory to your theme’s directory.
    wp-content > themes > your-theme-name > and edit that template file.

Now bbPress wil not use page.php but the archive-forum.php template instead and you can edit this page to all your needs.

Fulgence Ridal
    Participant

@theeponymus

thx Shmoo …
    very nice from your part to share your experience 😉

Phill
    Participant

@sharkbites

Thank you Shmoo! That has helped me out tremendously. I only have one question. I’ve copied over the archive-forum.php template and then replaced the code with the original page.php template and removed a few things but I still end up with the sidebar (no sidebar specific code in the original page.php) However, I’ve noticed that the line is associated with placing the sidebar. How do I get around this? Thanks!

• This reply was modified 11 years, 5 months ago by Phill.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

That’s very strange looks like the WP Loop is going somewhere through the sidebar.php file.

Make sure nowhere in the file is this code also look in the footer or other files that will be used.

( without the * )

But why would you copy stuff form the archive-forum.php template to the page.php template ?
    page.php is used to generate a default WordPress page.

bbPress has it’s own Custom Templates
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Creating_Your_Own_Page_Templates

Those can be found in the extra’s folder. For example if you copy page-front-forums.php from the extras folder to your WordPress theme folder you can find it while adding a new Page inside the WordPresss Dashboard.

Just: Add New Page and in the sidebar on the right side you can find an option the select a different Page Template.
    Pick the new bbPress page template and name your page like Support of whatever the title or (url) of this page has to be and Save it.
    Visit the Page and all the forums will show on that new page.

Now if you like to add some WordPress (blog) stuff to that page copy it from whatever WordPress template inside the page-front-forums.php

Make sure you delete the sidebar() code that i showed above out of that template.
    Thats the logic way of working i believe. Don’t touch the page.php because it’s a default WordPress template for making new pages on your website.

Phill
    Participant

@sharkbites

Thanks Schmoo. I’ll try that.

sourpatch
    Participant

@sourpatch

So can anyone explain to me how I can edit the bbpress.php file and change the forum labels, like the word forum and topic to another word. Do I make a bbpress.php file and put it in my child theme? I duplicated the bbpress.php file and edited it now where should I place it? or is this the wrong approach?

sourpatch
    Participant

@sourpatch

Do I make the bbpress.php and put it in the wordpress theme folder or the bbpress theme folder? Can there be two bbpress.php files will one override the other?

sorry I should use the edit, didn’t realize, I’m not sure if this was wrong way to use the forum

• This reply was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by sourpatch.

Fulgence Ridal
    Participant

@theeponymus

forum labels are in config panel of admin area.
    (french : réglages -> bbpress).
    use bbpress.php if you want another template than page.php

sourpatch
    Participant

@sourpatch

how would I implement the bbpress.php file if I don’t want it to get erased in updates? do I copy the bbpress.php and edit and put it in the child theme folder?

also where is settings > bbpress
    I have settings > forum
    do I modify the slugs?

Fulgence Ridal
    Participant

@theeponymus

“how would I implement the bbpress.php file if I don’t want it to get erased in updates”

in your theme template ! read this post !

make a try, corrections (…) anything you want … don’t be afraid …
    and don’t forget word like : “thanks” or “please” when you ask something 😉

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar