Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Not simple, fast or elegant

• I have a WordPress blog I am trying to put a bbpress forum into. The install instructions are opaque to say the least, it may be simple, fast and elegant but I am very confused as where to put the files when working with WordPress. I had a forums page set up as a WordPress page, if I put bbpress into that directory all I get is a list of files and not my WordPress page. When I get to the installer it then does not recognise the Database Name, User and Password. The instructions are written with prior knowledge but not tested on the range of possible users. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Mark

@delayedinsanity

If you saw a list of files instead of the installer, you probably have an incorrect DirectoryIndex directive set. bbPress uses index.php (same as WP) that should automatically be served, so that’s more likely an issue with your host more than it is one with bbpress.

Also, does your host have it’s SQL server hosted on the same machine as your web site? ‘localhost’ won’t work if you have to access it via another address, such as mysql.yourdomain.com which your host might have pointed at a different IP.

As delayedinsanity said, check your SQL server settings, namely by looking at the wp-config.php for WordPress and checking the database, username and password match. If you have a WordPress page named ‘forums’ and a directory called ‘forums’ that contains your bbPress forum, WP’s .htaccess is set up to display the directory instead of the WP page. To make them look the same, you need to either use deep integration or modify your bbPress theme to look like WP’s.

Thanks for your help, as you will have guessed I’m not a developer. I’ll look into it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar