Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

No Login with IE6

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any plugins installed?

See also: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/236

I only had bbpress integration installed on word press. disabling it. upgrading to .75, turning off my-templates, have not solved the issue.

Are others having this issue with IE6 as well? If we can confirm what is going on exactly here, so we can post up a TRAC ticket and get this solved ASAP!

Trent

it works fine for me!

yea i checked on some other computers around the lab and it did work.

I’m still not sure what the issue is as I was having these same login problems on my home computer with IE6.

Unless it is realized it is a problem, I’m just going to live with it for now, having realized login works on other computers.

<standard stuff you already know>

Did you clear the cache on it to make sure that the cookies and cache are not part of the problem on the troubled computers?

</standard stuff you already know>

Trent

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

In IE6, I cannot login to the account. The empty fields will not click to become active. But I have no trouble in Firefox. This problem has occurred from the start. But I cannot ignore it any longer.

http://www.canadianbookclubs.com/forums/

I am still running version 75.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

1. I would suggest starting a new topic to get more attention.

2. It’s something in the CSS – if you disable the CSS, you can type in those input boxes fine with IE6 and IE7. Maybe it’s the z-index. Also, it appears that the CSS for that login form appears in the style.css twice? Not sure what effect that has, but it’s unnecessary. I suspect the z-index, but I did not look at it long enough to be sure.

You can click in the form element if you click within 1 px of the top of the element. It’s being blocked/covered by something. I haven’t looked too closely, but I’m pretty sure the problem is that your <label> tags are encapsulating your input elements. They should be before the form element, like this:

<label>Username:</label>
    <input "input stuff" />

Yours is like this:

<label>Username:
    <input "input stuff" />
    </label>

Try that and see if that helps.

-Ron

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

Hello chrishajer

1) This topic is extremely relevant to the topic heading. It takes up more of my time if I have to view a bunch of different topics all on the same issue. When I am looking for a solution to a problem, I prefer to see one topic with different possibilities to the problem. This originating topic only started one month ago.

2) I hope it is a css problem. I can’t seem to find the double entry in the style sheet on the login form. Perhaps it is a z-index problem. I am still testing.

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

Hello Ron

The encapsulating of the label is in the default for version 75. It was not something I modified.

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

In testing, the position of the class=”login” seems to be the culprit. If it is position=relative, then the form moves to the very top and is clickable. But if it is changed to position=absolute, then it moves into its place in correctly, but is no longer clickable.

Can’t figure this out yet.

kannued,

As far as I can tell, the spec for the label tag indicates that it should be as above. I downloaded your html page and css file, then uploaded them to my server. Here’s what I found:

The problem is stemming from the <br> tag used inside of the <label> tags. IE thinks the input element is still on the first line, but it’s really being displayed on the second line. Here’s how I have modified it, and it seems to work in ie:

<label>Username: </label>
    <input name="user_login" type="text" id="user_login" size="13" maxlength="40" value="" style="display: block; clear: both; />
    <label>Password:</label>
    <input name="password" type="password" id="password" size="13" maxlength="40"style="display: block; clear: both; />
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" id="submit" value="Login &raquo;" />

I’m not 100% sure about the functionality in IE, because I had to d’load the css file and place it on my server. In Safari it worked fine importing it as specified in the original HTML, however IE puked it up. Probably being oversecure in all the wrong places again! Anyhow, I’m pretty sure this will solve your problem.

Break tags are a somewhat quick and dirty way to break a line. This isn’t a bad element to use, but it should be used when appropriate, or at least when you want to be lazy and it doesn’t break stuff. (that’s the extent of my philosophy). Try this out, and let me know if it works for you.

***EDIT***

I do see in another resource that the label tag can be associated either way, and should have a “for=” option if the input element is not found inside the label. Sorry for the mixup.

Either way, the <br> tag is most likely the culprit. Adding the styles to those input tags, (or specifying them in the stylesheet) should fix the problem.

Links to LABEL element info (for documentation/S.E. purposes):

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/forms/label.html

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

Hello macwise

That didn’t really work. The second field has disappeared. It almost seems like it is underneath the first field.

It will do an initial click on the username. But than that ability disappears, even with a refresh.

I’m thinking the easiest way to manipulate this problem is to have just two links. The “Register” is already linked to register.php. How would I link the “log in” to login.php? This way I would avoid the width problem where the action would then flip to the center column.

I tried this but it didn’t work:

<form class=”login” method=”post” action=”<?php bb_option(‘uri’); ?>bb-login.php”>

<p><?php printf(__(‘Register or log in‘), bb_get_option(‘uri’).’register.php’, bb_get_option(‘uri’).’login.php’) ?>:</p>

</form>

Kannued,

I looked closer at your css…is there a reason why everything is position:absolute;? When I took out the position: absolute, the input boxes were fine…Once again, this is a bit dicey because IE isn’t showing me the full page, (no images showing up, etc). I’m not sure why I can’t see the full thing in IE, and everything works fine in Saf.

In my experience with CSS, position absolute should be the exception, not the rule. It can usually be used extremely sparingly, and you can often if not always get by with the default, which is position: relative. Using floats, relative positioning, proper clearing, etc, and then applying margins and padding to create the proper spacing you’d like, there isn’t much you CAN’T do in regards to layout.

Position: absolute creates a lot of potential problems because it takes those absolute elements out of the document flow. This causes many issues just like the one you’re facing.

I think if you retool your page to reflect a more standard design approach, (ie changing abs. positioning to relative and making that work), then you’ll see a huge difference.

If you can’t make a go of it, you can send me over your template folder and I can activate it and really get to the root of it. Like I said earlier, my hands are somewhat tied here with IE.

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

Hello MacWise

I use absolute positioning for the left menu because the blue books are created on a gradated background, which must match the exact gradated background. With relative positioning, there is too much of a potential for movement depending on the screen size.

But of course, the login in section can be changed to a relative position as no graphics involved there.

I’m working on it! But I still might take you up on your offer.

Ahhh…that makes sense. I can understand now what your aim is. I can also understand your reasons for wanting to use absolute positioning. I looked again at the page based on these details. You indeed have a unique situation, but overall I don’t think it’s too complex. This is what I love about CSS layout vs a table based layout. We have so much fine grained control and many choices in this type of situation.

I can think of a few ways to accomplish your layout without using as much (or any) absolute positioning. Do you know much about background images? I would look there. You could also make a single background image with just the book images as background images on the list items on the left hand links. These are just a few ideas I’ve got. Either way, there’s a good solution out there that can work cross-browser/cross-platform. I admire and encourage your efforts to keep working at it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or if you run into a wall. Just drop me a line on my contact form at http://www.babyquestions101.com

Good luck!

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

That’s it! Enough!

I have modified to have no fields, and to link directly to the centre column.

<form class=”leftlogin” method=”post” action=”<?php bb_option(‘uri’); ?>bb-login.php”>

<p><?php printf(__(‘Log In‘), bb_get_option(‘uri’).’bb-login.php’) ?></p>

<p><?php printf(__(‘Register‘), bb_get_option(‘uri’).’register.php’) ?></p>

</form>

Thanks for your help MacWise. Someday, someone with more patience will solve the problem.

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

I just saw your last post MacWise.

Yes, it’s true, I could layout the books right onto the background. That would mean 24 different backgrounds as the books open and close depending on where a person is located. Then each time a person goes to a new background, time is wasted in loading the background. The method I used appeared to be the most efficient for loading times.

I need all the encouragement I can get after a full day lost to this problem!!!

kannued
    Participant

@kannued

12 backgrounds, not 24.

NP. Good luck with your efforts.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar