Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Next & Previous page links not working on Forums page

• j w
    Participant

@justinmwoodum

Hey all. The “Next Page >>” & “<< Previous Page” links do not seem to be working correctly on the Forums page. We should have 2 pages of Forums, but instead have 11 and they all show the same first of the two pages. We are never able to see the second page (the Forums that begin with the letter toward the end of the alphabet: o, p, q, r, s…etc.). Any ideas about what could be causing this?

WordPress 3.7.1
    bbPress 2.4.1

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• j w
    Participant

@justinmwoodum

No ideas?

This could be an issue with your rewrite rules. To fix this try resetting your permalinks. In your WordPress Administration Screens navigate to Settings > Permalinks, select a different permalink structure and save. Then select your preferred permalink structure and save again.

Also try the repair tools https://codex.bbpress.org/repair-forums/

j w
    Participant

@justinmwoodum

Thanks for the tips, Stephen. Tried both ideas (permalink reset & repair tools), clearing the cache throughout, but no change.

This is a multisite, so I also tried various combinations to reset the permalinks via the Site settings in the Network Dashboard and the Permalinks Settings on the Site’s individual Dashboard. No change.

Still pondering…

Got a link to your site/s and I will take a look.

j w
    Participant

@justinmwoodum

It’s not ready to share publicly so I sent a link to you via Google+ (Hangouts) which will hopefully email it to you quick. Thanks again.

Cool, got it, your issue is because you have more than 50 forums.

Purposely limited to 50 forums. If your site has that many main forums or subforums, it’s time to reconsider your categorization strategy.

See https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1997

j w
    Participant

@justinmwoodum

I see. This at least provides me with a solution: we need to make many of these forums sub-forums. I did a test; if I set one of these forums to be the sub-forum of another on this list, a forum not previously appearing on this page appears at the bottom.

This is resolved now, since this is built into bbPress. I am curious though why this limitation was built it. It seems like something the admin should decide, not bbPress, but perhaps it was to keep database load down, or to just protect the bbPress brand (to keep bbPress powered-sites from looking ugly)? Anyways, much appreciated.

All of what you mention in that a huge list of forums is not the ideal user experience so break that list of forums into some categories was the decision made. 😉

https://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/

Decisions, not Options
    When making decisions these are the users we consider first. A great example of this consideration is software options. Every time you give a user an option, you are asking them to make a decision. When a user doesn’t care or understand the option this ultimately leads to frustration. As developers we sometimes feel that providing options for everything is a good thing, you can never have too many choices, right? Ultimately these choices end up being technical ones, choices that the average end user has no interest in. It’s our duty as developers to make smart design decisions and avoid putting the weight of technical choices on our end users.

j w
    Participant

@justinmwoodum

Makes perfect sense to me.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar