Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

New bbP plugin install, users cannot create topics

• This is an issue I’ve seen several times with my heavily customized production site, and I have assumed it was related to my custom work. I decided to start a fresh install and see about re-integrating with the current trunk, and “do it right” this time.

However, with a brand new bbP install, running the included 2010 theme, logged in users with the “subscriber” role, still can’t create topics at all. In fact nobody but admin can.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Users just get the

Sorry!
    You cannot create new topics at this time.

error on any forum page.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU FIX THIS TONIGHT I WILL ERECT A SHRINE TO YOUR IMAGE!!! =)

Oh and this is ToolTrainer, my posts are now all being marked as spam… major sad frowny face.

And here I was going to report that I regressed all the way back to build 2993 where it immediately began working properly.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am that you actually did track down the issue, and are working on the fix now. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou. Seriously. Thank you for not just writing me off as a nutjob. Even if I am one.

My birthday is tomorrow and as pathetic as this may sound, this is a FANTASTIC present. LOL

Jonathan

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU FIX THIS TONIGHT I WILL ERECT A SHRINE TO YOUR IMAGE!!! =)

Oh and this is ToolTrainer, my posts are now all being marked as spam… major sad frowny face.

And here I was going to report that I regressed all the way back to build 2993 where it immediately began working properly.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am that you actually did track down the issue, and are working on the fix now. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou. Seriously. Thank you for not just writing me off as a nutjob. Even if I am one.

My birthday is tomorrow and as pathetic as this may sound, this is a FANTASTIC present. LOL

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Can you all try the most recent revision, and see if that fixes it for you? I think there’s probably a cleaner way to handle some of this, but I’d like to let this sit for a few days and see how it’s received.

The limit is finding what circumstances should be prevented completely, and what should provide some kind of specific user feedback. The question is enough to make me want to eventually write some kind of legitimate permissions based access feedback; something that works similar to a 404.php but for access errors. No time to get this in before beta though. :/

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Can you all try the most recent revision, and see if that fixes it for you? I think there’s probably a cleaner way to handle some of this, but I’d like to let this sit for a few days and see how it’s received.

The limit is finding what circumstances should be prevented completely, and what should provide some kind of specific user feedback. The question is enough to make me want to eventually write some kind of legitimate permissions based access feedback; something that works similar to a 404.php but for access errors. No time to get this in before beta though. :/

So far, so great!! I actually grabbed JUST the file with this fix in it last night and threw it on my production site. Fixed the problem immediately! Now we’re working on re-integrating a clean install of the latest bbP build into our theme, and making sure everything stays happy.

JJJ, you’re a star. Thank you again for being so willing to actually investigate and fix this issue, and quickly too!

Will let you know if I run into any issues with it but I’m very optimistic. :)

Jonathan

So far, so great!! I actually grabbed JUST the file with this fix in it last night and threw it on my production site. Fixed the problem immediately! Now we’re working on re-integrating a clean install of the latest bbP build into our theme, and making sure everything stays happy.

JJJ, you’re a star. Thank you again for being so willing to actually investigate and fix this issue, and quickly too!

Will let you know if I run into any issues with it but I’m very optimistic. :)

Jonathan

I don’t know if this is related or not but…

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/vanclute/public_html/new/wp-content/plugins/bbpress_3164/bbp-includes/bbp-forum-template.php on line 627

Getting this on the main “forums” page, under the first forum title but NOT under the second forum title.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

I don’t know if this is related or not but…

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/vanclute/public_html/new/wp-content/plugins/bbpress_3164/bbp-includes/bbp-forum-template.php on line 627

Getting this on the main “forums” page, under the first forum title but NOT under the second forum title.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tooltrainer – unrelated, and fixed. Try the latest revision. :) Was a bug with subforums, categories, and topic/reply counts.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tooltrainer – unrelated, and fixed. Try the latest revision. :) Was a bug with subforums, categories, and topic/reply counts.

Rockstar! =) Uploading new build now…

Jonathan

Rockstar! =) Uploading new build now…

Jonathan

Can’t speak for Jonathan (happy birthday, btw) but the 3167v of the plugin worked great for me, no errors for WP3.1.2

Thanks JJ!

Can’t speak for Jonathan (happy birthday, btw) but the 3167v of the plugin worked great for me, no errors for WP3.1.2

Thanks JJ!

Yep working great, no errors, no issues, it “just works”. =)

Was able to open my site’s doors to my first members today and the forum is seeing activity. No turning back now! LOL

Thanks again J3 ;)

Jonathan

Yep working great, no errors, no issues, it “just works”. =)

Was able to open my site’s doors to my first members today and the forum is seeing activity. No turning back now! LOL

Thanks again J3 ;)

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’ll do my best to keep things error free going forward. :)

Feeds are coming soon too, so be on the look-out.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’ll do my best to keep things error free going forward. :)

Feeds are coming soon too, so be on the look-out.

chesternerd

@chesternerd

Hello,

For what it is worth I have the same issue on this combination:

BBPress 1.0.3

WP: 3.2.1

bbPress Integration Plugin – latest from wordpress plugins repository as of 7/25/2011

Any ideas on where I should start?

The bbAdmin user can post new topics, forums, replies, etc however any other user type does not have an option to add a new topic or reply to existing topic, but they can SEE topics, forums and posts made by the bbPress admin.

Thanks in Advance,

Ben

chesternerd

@chesternerd

Hello,

For what it is worth I have the same issue on this combination:

BBPress 1.0.3

WP: 3.2.1

bbPress Integration Plugin – latest from wordpress plugins repository as of 7/25/2011

Any ideas on where I should start?

The bbAdmin user can post new topics, forums, replies, etc however any other user type does not have an option to add a new topic or reply to existing topic, but they can SEE topics, forums and posts made by the bbPress admin.

Thanks in Advance,

Ben

Stephanie Leary
    Participant

@sillybean

I’m seeing this as well with WP 3.2.1 and bbPress rev. 3398, downloaded tonight.

Stephanie Leary
    Participant

@sillybean

I’m seeing this as well with WP 3.2.1 and bbPress rev. 3398, downloaded tonight.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@chesternerd – This topic is in regards to bbPress 2.0, which is a turn-key plugin for WordPress.

@Stephanie Leary – Try r3404 – Multisite or single? Have you tried deactivating/reactivating the plugin?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@chesternerd – This topic is in regards to bbPress 2.0, which is a turn-key plugin for WordPress.

@Stephanie Leary – Try r3404 – Multisite or single? Have you tried deactivating/reactivating the plugin?

Stephanie Leary
    Participant

@sillybean

Multisite. I just de/reactivated and got a notice of RC-2 with much better multisite options. Excellent! Alas, now I can’t register new users at all — I just never get the confirmation email.

I’ve turned on the option to let guest users create topics for now, and that seems to work.

The new icons are fantastic!

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar