Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

My manager wants to remove the need for passwords altogether

• The access to our Intranet is password protected. My management wants to remove the need for password access to media-wiki. – Is this possible without a major re-coding.

If it is how could it be implemented?

Thanks to all in advance – John

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

What if someone within the company wants to pretend to be someone else and insult the manager on the forum? How would you authenticate who is who on the forum?

In any case what you probably want is the anonymous posting ability which I think a few people have tried hacking into bbPress with various success.

Hi _ck_

Thanks for replying so soon.

I have pointed this out to the MD and IT manager already. However they had already discussed it. This a is a very close-knit company. Basically I have been told that they do not care about such risks.

So how can it be done?

Thanks to all in advance – John

> media-wiki

Why are you asking here about mediawiki?

For bb, you need to overwrite the pluggable functions responsible for logging dudes in. They’re all in bb-includes/pluggable.php, and you overwrite them as you would a wordpress pluggable: https://codex.wordpress.org/Pluggable_Functions

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Assuming you are actually talking about bbPress, the best solution I can think of is to make your cookies expire a long time in the future. Then you just need to login once for each user as long as the cookie is there. Anonymous posting doesn’t sound like a solution as you probably still want to know who owns which messages.

To set the cookies to expire after ten years, save this to a file called “_loginExpiry.php” in my-plugins:

<?php
    function bb_login($login, $password) {
    if ( $user = bb_check_login( $login, $password ) ) {
    bb_cookie( bb_get_option( 'usercookie' ), $user->user_login, strtotime("+10 years") );
    bb_cookie( bb_get_option( 'passcookie' ), md5( $user->user_pass ), strtotime("+10 years") );
    do_action('bb_user_login', (int) $user->ID );
    }

return $user;
    }
    ?>

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar