Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Moving PHPBB3 to BBPRess – Database issue

• I have successfully moved by vbulletin site into phpbb3 and now ready to finalize the moved to bbpress. I had done a test on this process twice in the past and confirmed the steps and all that jazz but the last part is where I always get hung up.

Generally in the integration of the bbpress and wp users and logins.

Seems that may be again the issue but even prior to converting the data into bbpress.

My current site is a WPMU and has buddypress with bbpress standalone already connected. So, there is no bb_users table. When I run the convertor it of course is looking for that table and returns an error which kills the process.

knowing how sensitive this dang thing is I thought I would ask for some advice and help first prior to just trying to create tables and/or modify this convertor files. Both things I truly have little clue on how to do properly.

Some added info – I do have a users table and that is what is connected to WP and the last step in the conversation process is actually to rename the bp_user table to users if you intend to use WP for your users versus BBP. This is something I don’t want to change as it currently works just fine.

Finally, incase someone has a completely other solution here is what I got..

PHPBB3 has all my posts and users and is installed on the same domain as WPMU and BBP. It is also sharing the same database.

I have confirmed the phpbb forum works just fine with the users and my WPMU with BBP also works just fine. I would like to dump the phpbb and use bbp. I then am hoping to check into the bbp plugin.

Thank for all help and advice.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What made you decide to move away from vbulletin?

I hope that your transition to bbpress runs smoothly, tables and all. Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on things already. Are you a member of WPMUDEV? They would probably be able to help you too, if you do run into problems because combining WPMU with buddypress & bbpress is their specialty (I think).

What made you decide to move away from vbulletin?

I hope that your transition to bbpress runs smoothly, tables and all. Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on things already. Are you a member of WPMUDEV? They would probably be able to help you too, if you do run into problems because combining WPMU with buddypress & bbpress is their specialty (I think).

@Fartlek Our move comes based on BuddyPress and the issues within the company behind vbulletin. I ran a large (50,000 member) gaming community but was not part of the ownership there. After many years of frustration with their lack of doing anything for the gamers especially on their website I was going to just walk away. A friend asked about doing a new venture which was to be based on a social network for gamers. Not a new idea but there wasn’t and isn’t from what I see anything like the entire organization which we have. What I mean by that is, the ones out there are just housing for tons of gamers versus being a true social network and community with connections to those gamers direction on their platforms they play on. We also sponsor teams for PRO events as well as have classes for leadership to help train people to be good leaders of large groups of people.

I am in fact a member at WPMUDEV and it’s also because of them that I decided to make the move. they have been very helpful and without their support I probably am sitting on a very ugly forum based vbulletin site wishing I had something better.

It has been a learning experience for sure with making this move. It’s still not done and may never be perfect but as I learn the capabilities of WP, buddypress, BBPRess and everything else around them, it does get easier and close to that utopia we are trying to achieve.

The support on this site and the other WP sites is also a great thing!

@Fartlek Our move comes based on BuddyPress and the issues within the company behind vbulletin. I ran a large (50,000 member) gaming community but was not part of the ownership there. After many years of frustration with their lack of doing anything for the gamers especially on their website I was going to just walk away. A friend asked about doing a new venture which was to be based on a social network for gamers. Not a new idea but there wasn’t and isn’t from what I see anything like the entire organization which we have. What I mean by that is, the ones out there are just housing for tons of gamers versus being a true social network and community with connections to those gamers direction on their platforms they play on. We also sponsor teams for PRO events as well as have classes for leadership to help train people to be good leaders of large groups of people.

I am in fact a member at WPMUDEV and it’s also because of them that I decided to make the move. they have been very helpful and without their support I probably am sitting on a very ugly forum based vbulletin site wishing I had something better.

It has been a learning experience for sure with making this move. It’s still not done and may never be perfect but as I learn the capabilities of WP, buddypress, BBPRess and everything else around them, it does get easier and close to that utopia we are trying to achieve.

The support on this site and the other WP sites is also a great thing!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar