Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Move Tag Cloud

• How do I move the ‘Hot Tags’ cloud from the side bar in the Kakumei theme to the top, above the topics, like you see here in the forums?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Just find the page you want to change it on (probably front-page.php) and then edit that file in your template. Just move the div that is usually called hottags. Here it is from the stock theme

<div id="hottags" role="main">
    <h2><?php _e('Hot Tags'); ?></h2>
    <p class="frontpageheatmap"><?php bb_tag_heat_map(); ?></p>
    </div>

Just put that wherever you want it on your page. To change the size, you will need to find the CSS in style.css and adjust that to allow it to be wider and not float or whatever else you want it to do. Copying the styles from here is one option, to see how it was done. Here’s the corresponding CSS that controls the layout in the stock theme:

#front-page #hottags {
    position: absolute;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    width: 150px;
    overflow: hidden;
    }

Thanks, but I know almost nothing about editing PHP. I’m used to working in Dreamweaver but I normally use the ‘Split’ mode so that I can see visually how the code corresponds to what I see. But with PHP, it’s all code and no visual references.

I need even more specifics of how to do this. I see my ‘hottags’ div, but I need to know exactly where to put it so that it will appear at the top of my page like it does here on the front page of the forums.

Then when modifying the CSS, I realize the ‘top: 0’ and ‘left: 0’, absolute are pinning it to the top left corner of the screen, I think I understand the ‘width’, but I don’t know what the ‘overflow: hidden’ does. From seeing the #front-page #discussions right below it showing a width of 590px, I assume that is the width I’d want to change the #hottags to. Is that correct?

Thanks again

You gotta learn bro. Set up a test site, and move stuff around till you get it. It’s pretty straight forward. Everything in the code pertains to something that gets displayed…you learned that from dreamweaver already. Move the code around, refresh, and see what happened. That’s how you’ll learn. Don’t be afraid to break it because it’s only a test site. It costs nothing to erase it and make a new test site.

Set up a test site, and move stuff around till you get it. It’s pretty straight forward.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar