Categories
Search
Bottom

Moderator role can't create or manage Forums

• mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

Hello,

I am experiencing BBPress role issues with a WP + BP + BBPress setup.

I need a “moderator” role to be able to create new forums and edit his own, as per the standard permissions defined here : http://codex.bbpress.org/bbpress-user-roles-and-capabilities/

Forum Capabilities

• publish_forums
    • edit_forums
    • read_private_forums
    • read_hidden_forums

Unfortunately, the “moderator” role doesn’t see the “Forum” menu in the WordPress back-end, and even if its pages are accessed directly, there is a message stating the user does not have permission to accรจs the content.

So I understand that this may be a permissions issue, but i’ve taken a number of steps to circumvent this, and still no solution in sight :

• Disable all other plugins and use standard WP theme
    • Upgrade BBpress to V 2.5
    • Tried every single “repair forum” tool in plugin preferences
    • Tried activating-deactivating and reactivating “default user role” setting
    • Tried editing role with Capability Manager Enhanced
    • Tried with a fresh install of WordPress

From what i’ve gathered on-line, the BBpress team has introduced a new way of storing user roles but there isn’t very much information on how it REALLY works and how to make it compatible with an existing site that upgrades to a new version of BBpress.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

I would appreciate any input,

C.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Firstly, thanks for the detailed report, it really helps ๐Ÿ™‚

This is actually a known issue with moderators and the back end.

The way around this is to use the [bbp-forum-form] shortcode, your moderator/s should have no problems creating new forums from a page setup with this shortcode.

Tried editing role with Capability Manager Enhanced

I am not familiar with this tool and it’s compatibility with bbPress.

A great tool from @johnjamesjacoby is this one Advanced user capability editing for bbPress

mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for replying. I’m going to try this out right away and let you know what happens.

Iโ€™m going to try this out right away and let you know what happens.

Cool, I tried it to make sure before I posted the above ๐Ÿ˜‰

mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

Hello again Stephen,

so here is what happens…

SHORTCODE SOLUTION
    I inserted the [bbp-forum-form] shortcode and can see a forum creation form while logged is as KeyMaster. However, once logged in as “Moderator” I only get the following message

You cannot create new forums.

PLUGIN APPROACH
    I installed the suggested plugin (which is very straight forward and easy to use BTW) Advanced user capability editing for bbPress.

Even though options are all set appropriately, the “Forum” menu will not display as long as the user is a “moderator”.

In order to be as thorough as possible, here are the tests I ran :

• Changed moderator’s WP user role to each available option (subscriber -> admin) and tested every time
    • Used plugin’s reset to defaults button (essentially disabled everything)
    • Added options to enable creating and editing forums

What i noticed is that the “Topics” and “Replies” menus react to BBpress user-role settings whereas the “Forum” menu does not. This might seem logical, but in my mind it validates the fact that BBpress roles are not entirely overridden or broken.

Two things:

1. At this stage Moderators will NOT be able to see the ‘forums’ section in the backend eg. /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=forum no matter what you try, this is the known bug.
    2. The ONLY way moderators can create new forums is by filling out the fields and clicking submit using the shortcode [bbp-forum-form]
    3. So no matter what you/we do a moderator will not see the forums in the backend.

That said your moderator user should have had no problems creating forums via the [bbp-forum-form] form.

As I said I tested this myself before posting above. Can you create a new user, login as that user, logout and log back in is admin (or via separate browsers etc).

Did this user get the role ‘participant’ assigned to them after they logged in the first time?

Now promote the user to a ‘Moderator’ and visit the page you created with the shortcode ‘[bbp-forum-form]‘ and fill in and submit the form.

How’d wee go?

mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

Unfortunately its still the same…

When the user logs-in he does in fact get the default Forum role. So that part works.

But even after I upgrade him to “Moderator” he can’t access the front en form, nor can he access the back-end “forum” menu.

On a side note, I noticed that upon deactivation of BBpress there is no option to remove the data stored in the database. Sure there are options to reset everything to a fresh install, but nothing that enables a user to rid the database of orphaned entries from a previous BBpress install. Do you have any insight as to why that feature isn’t offered?

mistercyril
    Participant

@mistercyril

Up (because mine is still down ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar