Missing Topic Intro

• southcot
    Participant

@southcot

WordPress: 3.9
    bbPress: 2.5.3
    User Access Manager: 1.2.5.0
    Theme: Twenty Eleven (no mods)

I don’t know whether our use of UMA is relevant here. We have a group in UAM called “Panel” and all of those users have the “Forum Role” of “Participant”

I have set up a forum “panel Discussions” which is restricted to the members of “Panel”:-

Screenshot 1

and in it a topic “Panel **********************”:-

Screenshot 2

When I’m logged into WP I can see the forum and the topics:-

Screenshot 3

And the topic thread shows as I would expect:-

Screenshot 4

Users that aren’t logged in cannot see the “Panel Discussions” Forum as I would expect:-

Screenshot 5

And as expected another “Panel” member can see the “Panel Discussions” Forum:-

Screenshot 6

.. and the topics:-

Screenshot 7

However when they open the topic “Panel **********************”:-

Screenshot 8

The initial Topic intro is not visible.

Can anyone help please?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • It looks like ‘however’ all the things on your site are working it is making the topic ‘private’

The good thing is we will have this fixed for bbPress 2.6

Details are here https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2593

southcot
    Participant

@southcot

OK but the ticket is:-

“Allow Moderators and Keymasters to see private topic content from users”

… and strictly this issue is the converse, are you sure it’s the same problem?

Robin W

@robin-w

suggest its a plugin issue – seems to have been found before

first entry missing on single topic page // visible only for admin

and when coding a plugin recently I had exactly the same issue, but as I’m now old and brain going I cant remember how I fixed it, but I did!

It is related to filters applied to bbpress functions – it may be in bbp_has_replies, but somewhere if you mis-filter for replies only, then the resultant wp-query doesn’t have the topic post_id to display as it’s been filtered out.

Anyway one for the plugin author I’m afraid !

Robin W

@robin-w

You could try my plugin

bbp Private Groups

which lets you create private groups as you seem to want

@netweb
    – I’ll be adding it to wordpress plugins as soon as I’ve changed it unlimited groups!

OK but the ticket is:-

“Allow Moderators and Keymasters to see private topic content from users”

… and strictly this issue is the converse, are you sure it’s the same problem?

I am pretty sure it is the same problem… If the plugin you are using marks the post ‘private’ (you can confirm this by looking at the post in the wp_posts table, if the post_status for the topic is private then this is the same issue.

Not a definitive guide but if you are logged in and you are the topic author who authored that topic I expect you will find that they can see both the topic content and the follow up reply.

southcot
    Participant

@southcot

Robin

UAM controls access to other resources too so I don’t want to go down the route of having to manage multiple UACs. However thanks for the suggestion.

southcot
    Participant

@southcot

Any idea on the time scale for resolving this as it’s been a real show stopper for us.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry this is an issue with the UAM plugin, so as stated you’d need to refer the issue to them.

southcot
    Participant

@southcot

Don’t understand above, Stephan Edgar wrote:-

“It looks like ‘however’ all the things on your site are working it is making the topic ‘private’

The good thing is we will have this fixed for bbPress 2.6”

Where in the thread does it say this is a UAM issue?

Robin W

@robin-w

Where in the thread does it say this is a UAM issue?

I did 7 posts ago ! – ‘Anyway one for the plugin author I’m afraid !’

Did you do the checks that Stephen suggested ?

I am pretty sure it is the same problem… If the plugin you are using marks the post ‘private’ (you can confirm this by looking at the post in the wp_posts table, if the post_status for the topic is private then this is the same issue.

Not a definitive guide but if you are logged in and you are the topic author who authored that topic I expect you will find that they can see both the topic content and the follow up reply.

and what results did you get?

southcot
    Participant

@southcot

Yes it’s the same issue. I didn’t understand the reference you made to the plug-in author, sorry. Not being conversant with the conventions I assumed you were still talking about the bbpress author. I’m sure I could have been more switched on but perhaps replies to in this forum could make less of an assumption about the degree of tech literacy us ordinary users have?

I’m now completely at a loss as to what the link:-

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2593

… should convey to me?

Robin W

@robin-w

‘make less of an assumption about the degree of tech literacy us ordinary users have?’

I had assumed because you were able to look at wp-tables, you were techy !

I try hard to match responses to authors, but it’s difficult sometimes to judge the degree of technicality, and I’m just a humble volunteer on this site who does this for nothing and has a day job and family, so please don’t shoot those that are trying (if badly sometimes :-)) to help !

Are you techy enough to edit and ftp .php files, or add code to your functions file? If so then come back and I’ll try to help further

southcot
    Participant

@southcot

How does the link:-

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2593

… relate to this issue?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar