Categories
Search
Bottom

Mingle forum import

• krbvroc1
    Participant

@krbvroc1

From the FAQ:

Forum ‘Categories’ are not imported from wp_forums_groups you will need to manually create these ‘parent forums’ and assign the forums to these after the import and recounts have finished.

What exactly does this mean and how can it be worked around?
    My mingle forum has 3 subforums (Categories):
    Subforum A – 580 topics – 2800 posts
    Subforum B – 3190 topics – 28000 posts
    Subforum C – 76 topics – 307 posts

Is this limitation saying I need to manually assign 5000 topics (or 30000 posts)? If so, this is impossible. How can this be automated/worked around? I might be misunderstanding what it is asking me to do. Do I create parent forums first before importing? Is there some SQL command or modification that I can do to fix this after the import?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • A ‘category’ is a parent container for your forums

eg.
    – Hardware
    — HP
    — Acer
    — Dell
    -Software
    — Microsoft
    — Apple
    — Google

In the above example both ‘Hardware’ and ‘Software’ are the categories with forums beneath in the hierarchy.

So if you don’t want a ‘parent’ category for your Subforum A,Subforum B & Subforum C then you don’t need to worry about it and your forum structure would look like this:

– Subforum A
    – Subforum B
    – Subforum C

If you do decide you want a ‘parent’ to put these forums in you can create it before or after the forum import, it doesn’t matter, you simply edit each forum and in the forum settings you can choose the ‘parent’ forum/category, worst case scenario is three quick edits.

krbvroc1
    Participant

@krbvroc1

Oh okay, that makes sense. I think I was confusing forum categories with subforums. Three quick edits is all it took.

I was a little confused too because I had not rebuilt the forum parents so I think it seemed like all the posts were ‘orphaned’ and so I thought maybe I had to manually assign each post to a subforum.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar