Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Menu Links

• kindagreywolf

@kindagreywolf

OK, call me stupid but I have been searching the site and can’t find an answer.

Is there a way to add menu links to BBPress? I would love a link that would at least go back to the main site.

I found a plugin but when I go to download it says link broken.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You could just edit your theme. Change the header file to have whatever menu links you want.

kindagreywolf

@kindagreywolf

Thanks. I did that. Then found out I can’t really delete posts or move to the appropriate area. This scares as me as I am sure there are a ton of other basic functions you should be able to do but can’t. Now looking for another forums software :-)

You can both delete posts and move topics (but not individual posts within a topic) with bbPress.

A lot of bbPress’s functions come in the form of Plugins, so it’s easier for people to pick and chose what they want in their forum.

So, is there a plugin for this?

michael3185

@michael3185

Don’t know if it’s of any help, but bbPress is very extensible. I tried most other forum packages, and spent day after day struggling to make things work, sometimes getting help, others not, but never managing to do what I needed to. I finally found bbPress.

As a PHP noob I struggled with some things at first, but with help from forum members and a couple of easy online PHP tutorials I’ve got a nice theme and forums working as I want. As well as the theme CSS, I’ve edited PHP files to make things work as I wish, changed layouts and menus, etc. Nothing mind-blowingly flash, but then I go for cool and simple, which is what my users need.

If you’re looking for small, fast, and easy to modify, bbPress is (as Douglas Admas said) the wasp’s nipples.

What’s ‘this’?

Cause as I said, you CAN delete posts and move topics. What ‘this’ are you talking about? :)

@Ipstenu

You wrote “You could just edit your theme. Change the header file to have whatever menu links you want.”

Then you wrote “A lot of bbPress’s functions come in the form of Plugins, so it’s easier for people to pick and chose what they want in their forum. “

At which point I wondered “So, is there a plugin for this? “

That would be the “this” I was referring to. Hope this helps and thanks for any info in advance.

@Michael3185

Any chance you could share the location of those PHP Tutorials? I would love to check them out. I was remembering a friend of mine used PHPBB years ago. I had forgotten all about it until he recently posted to a discussion list. Guess he was a real pioneer!

http://www.bavp.org/forumz/ If you want to check it out (though I can’t imagine why…) :)

Thanks

@mikemcd22 – You crossed two of my posts, which were about different things.

You could just edit your theme. Change the header file to have whatever menu links you want.

This was in reference ONLY to the question of how to make your menu links the sme on BB and WP.

A lot of bbPress’s functions come in the form of Plugins, so it’s easier for people to pick and chose what they want in their forum.

This was as reply to his second concern of:

… I can’t really delete posts or move to the appropriate area. This scares as me as I am sure there are a ton of other basic functions you should be able to do but can’t.

So … both answers are right, but they’re neither the answer to what I think you’re asking which is: “Is there a plugin to make my header look the same between WP and BB?”

Answer: No.

@Ipstenu

Thanks Very much, I understand. I had no doubt your answers were correct. By editing his header he caused some loss of functionality. When reading his entire quote which begins, quite importantly with, “Thanks. I did that. Then found out… ” You see that he tied both things together: cause and affect (or is that effect). In any case, the question of whether there are plugins for editing themes etc., and therefore avoiding destruction of important code has been answered.

Hi all,

When I move my template files into bbpress/my-templates I get the following error when trying access my forum:

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening ” for inclusion (include_path=’.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php’) in /home/content/databasename/html/forums/bbpress/bb-includes/functions.bb-template.php on line 45

Is it normal for the template files to disappear in the bb-templates directory after you populate the my-templates directory with templates/themes?

Thanks

No, you should copy the folder from bb-templates to a new folder name in my-templates.

So you’d have /public_html/bbpress/bb-templates/kakumei and also /public_html/bbpress/my-templates/ipstenu

But all you really need is to port over the files from kakumei that you want to change.

michael3185

@michael3185

@mikemcd22, sorry, only noticed your question today. I just do a Google search, eg., “php while loop” and tons of useful sites pop up. I don’t use one in particular. I haven’t gone very deep with it though, just enough to modify my theme templates to do things like the original question, add menus. Oh and the loop (which I didn’t need in the end) was to set a count for the number of recent posts which are displayed on the front page.

I doubt I’d use any other forum software now, as bbPress does everything I want, and is so easy to modify. If I can do it, I’d guess almost anyone can.

@ Ipstenu

Thanks. I want to be sure I understand (and I may not have been clear in my post)… I copied all folders and files in my bb-templates folder and moved them to a new folder called my-templates.

Are you saying I should rename the folders when I move them to my-templates? (kakumei and kakumei-blue are the two folders I am moving).

Thanks again for your help.

I’m … not sure. Can you show me what you have in bb-templates and my templates? I’m assuming it’s this:

/public_html/bbpress/bb-templates/kakumei
    /public_html/bbpress/bb-templates/kakumei-blue
    /public_html/bbpress/my-templates/kakumei
    /public_html/bbpress/my-templates/kakumei-blue

If so, rename the folders under my-templates to something like ‘my-kakumei’.

Yes – Correct. I have tried it several ways. As per your example, I renamed the folders to “mikes-kakumei” and received the same error.

What is the reason the file cannot be edited in “bb-templates” I made a crude attempt at it today at http://www.volleyballnh.com/forums/bbpress/

I’m not sure why they decided it should be that way, I just go with the flow :)

What are the folder permissions on my-templates, when compared to bb-templates?

Permissions are the same for both…

Are you on a Windows server?

No. Linux hosting from Go Daddy. (Sorry for the delay, my exchange server crashed and, hey… it’s a long weekend!!!)

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar