Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Manually Add Users to a Forum

• familylawboard
    Participant

@familylawboard

How do I manually add users to a forum? I want to have different forums for different users, but I don’t want to have the users pick their own forum themselves (ease of use issue). I want all of the forums to be hidden and I will manually assign people to forums based on what they put in their profiles. Seems like this should be simple to do but I can’t see how?

I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Within the default bbPress you cannot do this – forums are either visible or not depending on whether you’re logged in, and you cannot assign users to forums

However the following plugin allows you to assign users to one of up to 8 groups, and have multiple forums belonging to those groups, so should probably achieve what you want.

bbp Private Groups

familylawboard
    Participant

@familylawboard

Thanks Robin. That looks like a great plugin but it’s limited to 8 groups. I want to split people up by (at the very least) geographic area, so I need many more forums to assign people into.

Robin W

@robin-w

The ‘group’ would be the area, so you’d create an area say called “north-west” and then users would belong to that group, and any number of forums can then be allocated to that group, and a fourm can belong to several groups.

8 is only a limit as I had to start somewhere, and I plan an unlimited number for a future release.

How many are you after?

familylawboard
    Participant

@familylawboard

Unites States and it’s territories and then one for “international” to start with.. so I’m looking at 57ish. If I get lots of members outside of the US I would eventually split the international section up as well (I don’t necessarily foresee this). I’m looking into doing what I need with s2member conditionals now. I’ll have to have people choose their state, then generate different paypal buttons for each one so they’ll get a proper s2member conditional and then I’ll set up a forum page that uses shortcode conditionals to show them just the forum I want them to see. I’m not sure this will integrate perfectly with my bbpress/buddypress setup (I’m concerned about the activity pages and such) but we’ll see. I’ll definitely watch for updates to your plugin–it sounds perfect for when it’s got an unlimited number of groups.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar