Categories
Search
Bottom

Loreschool.com – A Guild Wars 2 guild

• isopaha
    Participant

@isopaha

Hey,

I just finished creating the 2.0 version of my guild’s website. The earlier version was running really old wp+bp+bbp, so I wanted to create everything from the ground up.

I had a lot of issues importing the forums and users from the old site, since I didn’t want to import thousands of spambots.

Anyway, you can check out the forum at:

http://www.loreschool.com/forums/ and the whole site at the same place.

I’m running BuddyPress + BBPress. What do you think? Site is fully responsive but I still have some graphic elements and css to fix on some resolutions. Any feedback is welcome 🙂

EDIT: One of my biggest issues is that the Search widget is not searching anything from the forums, so I have to use some BBPress search widget, which in other hand doesnt search anything from posts. Any ideas for a fix?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Awesome, looks great 🙂

Search appears to work fine for me

isopaha
    Participant

@isopaha

Ty 🙂

Aye, the forum search widget works like a charm, but the default WP search widget doesn’t search the forums. I’d like to use the default widget so it would go through blog posts and forum posts for that keyword, now the forum search widget only goes through forum posts.

isopaha
    Participant

@isopaha

Any chance someone could remove the link from my original post? The site started getting ddossed shortly after I put the link here…

avgmatt
    Participant

@avgmatt

I really love how your forum is laid out. I have been trying to set mine up similar to that style and can’t get it. I really want the separated categories like that. I kinda got it working with shortcodes on a new page but its not that great. Do you mind sharing how you did yours?

Lynqoid
    Participant

@lynqoid

To get separate categories have you tried creating a main forum, then assign sub forums to the main forum. Then the sub forums will display in a list underneath the main forum.

You can then use some css to separate the look of the forums.

isopaha
    Participant

@isopaha

Hey there!

Yeah, its awesome! Never really liked bbP before I found out a way to layout the forums like that.

Here’s the way I’ve done it (looked it up somewhere, can’t remember where):

1. Create subdirectory called bbpress into your theme directory.
    2. Inside the bbpress subdirectory, create a file called loop-forums.php
    3. Place this code inside of it:

<?php

/**
     * Forums Loop
     * @package bbPress
     * @subpackage Theme
     */

?>

<?php do_action( 'bbp_template_before_forums_loop' ); ?>

<?php while ( bbp_forums() ) : bbp_the_forum();

/* We print the header only if we want to show a category or if it's the first item of a no-parent forum list */
    		if (bbp_is_forum_category() OR !$bbp_forums_noheader)
    			{ ?>

<ul id="forums-list-<?php bbp_forum_id(); ?>" class="bbp-forums">

<li class="bbp-header">

<ul class="forum-titles">
    						<li class="bbp-forum-info"><?php if(bbp_is_forum_category()) { ?><a class="bbp-forum-title" href="<?php bbp_forum_permalink(bbp_get_forum_parent_id()); ?>"><?php bbp_forum_title(bbp_get_forum_parent_id()); ?></a><?php } else { _e( 'Forum', 'bbpress' ); } ?></li>
    						<li class="bbp-forum-topic-count"><?php _e( 'Topics', 'bbpress' ); ?></li>
    						<li class="bbp-forum-reply-count"><?php bbp_show_lead_topic() ? _e( 'Replies', 'bbpress' ) : _e( 'Posts', 'bbpress' ); ?></li>
    						<li class="bbp-forum-freshness"><?php _e( 'Last Post', 'bbpress' ); ?></li>
    					</ul>

</li><!-- .bbp-header -->
    <?php 		} ?>

<li class="bbp-body">

<?php 		/* If the forum is a category, we're gonna make another loop to show its subforums and sub-subforums as if those were forums */	
    			if(bbp_is_forum_category())
    				{

$temp_query = clone bbpress()->forum_query;
    				bbp_has_forums('post_parent='.bbp_get_forum_id());
    				while ( bbp_forums() ) : bbp_the_forum();
    				bbp_get_template_part( 'loop', 'single-forum' );
    				endwhile;
    				bbpress()->forum_query = clone $temp_query;

} 
    					else /* Otherwise, we print the forums the normal way */
    				{	

bbp_get_template_part( 'loop', 'single-forum' );
    				$bbp_forums_noheader = 1; /* This prevents the header part to be printed again on next post in the loop */

} ?>

</li><!-- .bbp-body -->

<?php		/* Prints the footer only if :
    				- it's a category
    				- or if it's the last forum of a no-parent forum list
    				- or if the next forum in the loop is a category */

if(	bbp_is_forum_category() 
    			OR 	(bbpress()->forum_query->current_post+1) == bbpress()->forum_query->post_count
    			OR 	bbp_is_forum_category(bbpress()->forum_query->posts[ bbpress()->forum_query->current_post + 1 ]->ID)) 
    			{ ?>

<li class="bbp-footer">

<div class="tr">
    					<p class="td colspan4">&nbsp;</p>
    				</div><!-- .tr -->

</li><!-- .bbp-footer -->

</ul><!-- .forums-directory -->

<?php 	unset($bbp_forums_noheader); /* Needed if we have 2+ no-parent forums with at least 1 category between them */
    		}  ?>

<?php endwhile; ?>

<?php do_action( 'bbp_template_after_forums_loop' ); ?>

That should do the trick for you! Keep in mind, General, the Guild, Off-Topic etc. that you see in my site, are all categories. Under the categories I’ve made forums where you can actually post. I encourage you to do the same for this trick to work 🙂

avgmatt
    Participant

@avgmatt

Thank You for that info. I set up the new directory and file like you mentioned. Do I need to do more or should it adapt.

I have the new bbPress folder created under the wp-content/themes folder and added the new php file to it.

Here are the forum pages I am messing with.
    The basic forum root averageoutdoorsman.com/forums/
    The new page using shortcodes averageoutdoorsman.com/ao-forums/

Nothing has changed in either since I created the suggested files. Do I need to specify the new theme file somehow?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

isopaha
    Participant

@isopaha

Hey,

I’m pretty sure you have to create that folder and file into your theme’s folder, so wp-content/themes/YOUR_THEME/bbpress/loop-forums.php . 🙂 Sorry if I wasn’t clear with that.

Are “Welcome”, “Deer”, “Hunting”, “Fishing”, “Other outdoors” forums or categories? If they are forums, make them categories by selecting the forum in the forum list, and then from the dropdown menu on the right select Category instead of Forum.

avgmatt
    Participant

@avgmatt

I moved the new folder under my working theme folder. Don’t see a change. Do I need to change any other files to direct to the new file??

Those are categories with no parent with everything below them as forums and selected parents.

avgmatt
    Participant

@avgmatt

Is your forum page just the root page or did you create a page and shortcode?

Pyopillot
    Participant

@pyopillot

Wooo ! Just Amazing ! And so fast <3
    I’m in love ! GG 🙂

One question : What plugins did you use for this event calendar?

Thx 🙂

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

@iso, would you mind contacting me via my site’s contact form? I really need help getting the forums to look like OP’s ^

my site is http://www.skyforgelabs.com

Pyopillot
    Participant

@pyopillot

I found 🙂
    It’s All in one calendar 😀

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar