Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Login Attempt > Incorrect Password, 2nd Attempt Works Fine?

• crobinson18

@crobinson18

My forum has been working great for almost a year. Just recently I have noticed that my FIRST attempt to login fails – I receive an INCORRECT PASSWORD warning. I attempt to login a second time with the exact same password and it works just fine. My users are also reporting this problem and it causes problems – they request a password reset, get frustrated with my forum, etc.

Anyone know what causes this login error and how to fix it?

Thanks for any replies!

Chris

http://www.nissenfundoplication.com

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• johnhiler

@johnhiler

Two questions to help diagnose the issue:

1) If you activate the default Kakumei theme, do you still have this problem?

2) Have you installed any plugins recently?

Let us know and we’ll try to figure it out!

crobinson18

@crobinson18

@ johnhiler,

1) YES, I still have the problem if I activate the default Kakumei theme.

2) NO, I have not installed any plugins recently.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

http://www.nissenfundoplication.com

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

This one is interesting to me. I’ve often thought that I’ve had this problem as well, and attributed it to cookies or fat fingers, so I never really thought much about it.

Have you tried changing all the secret keys in bb-config.php? That should force everyone to log in once again. Not sure if that will fix anything, but at least would be a consistent “reset” to everyone’s login. It won’t change their password, but it invalidates all their login cookies.

crobinson18

@crobinson18

@ chrishajer,

NO – I have not tried changing all the secret keys in bb-config.php – what are the steps?

I don’t type my password in – it’s saved in Windows so I knew I wasn’t typing it wrong.

Thanks!

johnhiler

@johnhiler

I just registered on your site and then tested the signin… it worked for me on the first try! :-) I’m using Google Chrome…

Maybe there’s a known issue between your browser and the “saved passwords” option… which browser are you using?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

To change the keys, just delete those four lines, and create new keys here:

https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/bbpress/

Then paste the new keys back into the same location in bb-config.php.

DO NOT attempt this if you have integrated logins with WordPress. You didn’t mention that, and the site you linked to comes up with forum first as the main page, not a WordPress blog. So, if you’re using just bbPress without integration, it’s safe to change those keys.

Here’s the advice from wp-config.php on what this does:

You can change these at any point in time to invalidate all existing cookies. This will force all users to have to log in again.

You didn’t mention earlier that you’re relying on the browser to save your password. I would try with a new browser and typing in the password manually to see if you get the failure on the first attempt with your known good password.

Ken Duret

@kenduret

My guess is you are running Firefox for your browser. I’ve noticed when Firefox updated this last time that many times I need to fill out forms and submit them a second time. Very irritating.

* Edit * I needed to submit this reply twice!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar