Categories
Search
Bottom

Logged into one – logged into all.

• pierrottorreip

@pierrottorreip

Hi All,

Here’s my situation…

I have installed 3 instances of bbPress on one WordPress blog. I want to keep them separate in case I need to scrap one – but I’d like to make them so if someone creates an account on one they are logged into all.

I currently have them sharing cookies but not a database.

What should my next step be?

Thanks

http://mcmxxii.com

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Hi PierrottorreiP,

May i first suggest that the first step be to not do this sort of testing on a live environment?

This is probably the way forward in my opinion:

– Install them all on the same databse as your wordpress instal.

– Use different table prefixes for each one.

– Make people register on wordpress, with the redirect going back to the forum they came from.

– Do a little dance.

– Make a little love.

Also, there’s not need to post a link to your site here man, if it’s not something wrong with a specific page we can see, it’s just a random link that’s not helpful.

kevinjohngallagher, I had that thought, but then I wondered how WP set the bb_users information. How will it know to update multiple tables, etc.

pierrottorreip

@pierrottorreip

@ kevinjohngallagher,

Thanks for the step by step man – I’ll definitely give it a shot.

Not really sure what the first and last points you made have anything to do with my question – guess you just enjoy being a dick on forums.

a) I did put the site together locally and realized that I wanted them to talk to each other after I made it live.

b) If I include a link people bitch, if I don’t include a link people bitch. I’ve learned to live with that fact.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Wow,

PierrottorreiP, i was only trying to help, i think you could drop the attitude man. Rest assured, i’ll not try to help again.

My first point, about using a development environment, is a sound technical point. The point of doing things locally is to plan/develop/test until it’s right then push live. If as you said you “I did put the site together locally and realized that I wanted them to talk to each other after I made it live.” that just shows poor planning, and it’s not my fault for not realising that you had decided to make things on your live server different from your testing environment.

That said, your site currently has 1 user, you, so taking down the forums until you fix it locally isn’t going to be a disaster.

As for my suggesting you only include a link when needed, again, it wasn’t to persecute or “bitch”, but was honest advice. If you have something you want us to look at please include a link by all means, but make it a link to your forums and or the page you’re having an issue with. ‘bumping’ your website via views from a BBpress support forum aren’t going to help (of the top 10 google links form your website name are from this website – and many people have tried to bump their site this way before which is why i mentioned it).

You also have to accept that English isn’t everyone’s first language, and while not bad at it myself, taking offence because of the way something is worded – especially in a post that gave you step by step instructions on how to fix your issue – is frankly very bad form.

Name calling, on an anonymous internet forum, is hardly the way to get help from those of us who care for BBpress’ development.

pierrottorreip

@pierrottorreip

kevinjohngallagher,

I run six installations of bbPress – so I hardly think that it is fair to imply that I don’t ‘care for BBpress (sic) development’ or that I was trying to ‘bump’ my website views. I honestly couldn’t care less about the one or two views I might get from this forum. Furthermore, it is an annoyance to have Google bring up this post – so if anything I am generally inclined not to include the link – except that a) I thought it might be helpful to see the set up and b) as I said, people usually bitch when I don’t include a link.

I do think you need to learn how to show a little restraint though. On top of going too far in your first post you go on to imply that I am trying to bump my views, have bad forum decorum, don’t care about bbPress, read English insensitively and perhaps most incorrectly, say things on this forum that I wouldn’t say in person.

I thanked you for the step by step – for which I am sincerely grateful. Unfortunately, it came with a condition – a little unasked for advice and a little self righteousness.

I don’t want to fight with you though. You think I was in the wrong + I think you were in the wrong = nothing gets solved.

Thanks again for the help, I’ll try it out soon.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I hardly think that it is fair to imply that I don’t ‘care for BBpress (sic) development’

I didn’t say that nor suggest it, i said that “Name calling, on an anonymous internet forum, is hardly the way to get help, and i think that’s a true statement. If you call people “dick” and “bitch”; you are less likely to get help. I don’t think that is a false statement, and if you’re taking more from it than i had intended then i think you’re just trying to look for a fight rather than apologising for calling me a “dick” for trying to help you.

After all, i did try and help.

English is not my first language (nor my second – so my tone may be very off), but i wasn’t being intentionally rude or argumentative. I think it’s fair to say that people who have English as a non-primary language sometimes write sentences in a way that people some people find harsh or blunt – especially on internet forums where tone and intination do not come across. If that’s not something that you or anyone else who reads this agrees with then i’m sorry, it’s my experience that some cultures say things in a different way to others.

As for the unasked for advice, it was asked for. You asked what your next step should be, and in my honest opinion it should be to test everything on a development enviroment. You may think it “self righteous” of me to say so, but there have been many examples of people on these forums who upload and install on a live environment first (there are 3 on the first page of this forum btw), so i was being honest and offering you and answer to the question YOU ASKED. I didn’t get bored and decide to write you an email, you asked for help and i took time to answer. If you think that was unasked for, then i apologise.

You know man it’s like this, folks like me try our best. We try and asnwer in the best way possible in a language thats not our own, and if you go around picking out phrases out of context and saying things like we “tried to imply” – you’re reading way too much into simple sentances. If i wnted to say something i would, i wouldn’t hide behind an implication or worse, hide behind an attempted implication of something i really wanted to say. It’s hard to post here in English and we do our best. We dont expect to be called a “dick” or suggesting that we’re a “bitch” for doing so. And if you think that’s acceptable behavior to someone who was trying to help, then thats your own thing man, frankly i think it’s a little uncool – but if you think swearing at someone who is trying his best to help you is cool then there’s nothing i can add to that. Namecalling never got anyone anywhere, and i’d be surprised it if got you help on this forum either.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar