Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Latest on better editor?

• Greeings, all –

First off, I installed bbPress yesterday and I admit I’m impressed. A very well-thought-out piece of work. It dovetailed perfectly with WP without a hitch.

The one thing it obviously needs is a slightly better editor. Asking the readers to use actual code to italicize or bold a word is decidedly old-world.

I’ve just spent an hour on Google (and here) searching for relevant terms, such as ‘WYSIWYG’ and ‘TinyMCE’, and while there seems to be lots of chatter about the subject, I haven’t found anyone with a definitive “Do this, this and this” page that’ll replace the stock editor with something like TinyMCE Advanced or NICEdit.

Anyone know what the latest scoop is?

Thanks,
    Joe

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• mr_pelle
    Participant

@mr_pelle

Hi Joe! I’m using this plugin by Zaerl and I’m pretty happy with it!

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Hi Joe,

There is (or was) a TinyMCE editor back in the day, but TinyMCE is so far from Tiny it’s unreal.

I tink you’re also giving you users too little credit. A large percentage of people who use forums are used to seeing bbCode (though they may not know it themselves), but I always like to give my users buttons to press.

Latest update on my old plugin can be seen here:

http://www.fellowshipoftheding.org/forums/topic/shammy-changes

Please excuse the awful defualt theme and Play around with the text area.It’s 2k of code, or just uner 1% of TinyMCE.

I’d also advise to stay clear of WYSIWYG editors. People like to go absolutely nuts on those things. Everything bold and red and big fonts because “the world NEEDS to hear them” ;-)

and then ofcourse someone responds…

Mr P –

As we say in the WordPress world, woot! Zaerl Editor is absolutely perfect. I don’t want people to import pics and such — the main thing is embedded links.

Kev – Also thanks for the suggestions.

Joe

really cool

woot – that zaerl editor is right on the point, I hadn’t noticed it before. You could also check out this topic on how to implement markItUp as editor for bbPress:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbcode-toolbar-with-markitup-editor

The explanation is for bbCode, but it could be easily changed for HTML input.

The one change I made to Zaerl Editor was snipping out the part of the code that put that needless “Code” button on the top.

The only disappointment is that it doesn’t seem to understand strikethrough fonts. I tried both “strike” and “del” (using both HTML and backticks) but no joy. Any thoughts?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I have inserted the “code” button for the simple reason that the backtick character is difficult to be typed on a keyboard that isn’t the “standard” U.S. ASCII. This is true for the vast majority of the keyboard layouts worldwide.

The only disappointment is that it doesn’t seem to understand strikethrough fonts.

It doesn’t understand strikethrough cause that tag (the obsolete ‘s’) isn’t enabled by default on bbPress.

I provide support for standard tags: strong, em, a, img, ul, ol, li, blockquote, code and the non standard img that is widely used.

My plugin do not enable new tags (and implicitly new buttons) in current version 0.3.2 but it does in 0.4 (trunk). I have taken my position regarding the future of bbPress and so I will not upload new plugins and/or updates (https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/zaerl-editor/page/2/#post-5992). Anyway if you need the new zaerl Editor with custom buttons and other fancy features write me a couple of lines. za AT zaerl.com

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

The one change I made to Zaerl Editor was snipping out the part of the code that put that needless “Code” button on the top.

If you’re on a non-US (or i suppose non English/qwerty) keyboard, the backtick key is a total git to hit. there’s quite a large difference between North American keybaords and the rest of the world.

The only disappointment is that it doesn’t seem to understand strikethrough fonts. I tried both “strike” and “del”

bbPress doesn’t process them as standard.

*sorry Zaerl mate, just seen your answer*

Z –

“It doesn’t understand strikethrough cause that tag (the obsolete ‘s’) isn’t enabled by default on bbPress.”

So, is there a way to turn it on?

And I understood that the ‘Code’ button was for generating backticks, but what are backticks used for since the buttons cover pretty much everything?

And, for that matter, why isn’t this site using it?

Thanks,

Joe

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

In bbPress if you put something between backtick it shows up in fixed-width, not-transformed style.

And, for that matter, why isn’t this site using it?

bbpress.org and bbPress in general uses the backtick notation. It’s hard to remove it. I have answered to a topic some times ago showing a little hack to erase it.

So, is there a way to turn it on?

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: I love strike-through
    Plugin URI: http://www.bbpress.org
    Description: <s> tag
    Author: zeal
    Author URI: http://www.zaerl.com
    Version: trunk
    */

function strike_it($tags)
    {
    $tags['s'] = array();
    return $tags;
    }

add_filter('bb_allowed_tags', 'strike_it');

?>

Z –

I copied the code to a PHP file and it activated from the bbPress ‘Plugins’ panel, but I can’t figure out how to make it work in the editor. I tried both angled brackets and backticks. Thoughts?

And the next big challenge would be to have it open links in a new window. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Joe

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

The micro-plugin (I have written for you) activate the s HTML tag (as you requested) <s>your text here</s> but zaerl Editor 0.3.2 does handle only standard tags plus the img tag as I said here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/latest-on-better-editor#post-71194

Z – Thanks, the ‘s’ did it. Very appreciated.

The one last thing that would really make this editor the cat’s ass would be opening links in a new window. Is there a PHP version of “Target=_blank” we can slip into the code?

Joe

Z – I got on a bbPress plugins page and found your ‘Open in new window’ plugin but the rascal doesn’t seem to work. Tried it in both ‘bb-plugins’ and ‘my-plugins’. It activates just fine. Is there a trick I’m missing?

Thanks,

Joe

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar