Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Lack of bbsync means I might go with SMF

• Hi all,

sadly bbsync still doesn’t work AFAIK and so I’ll probably head with SMF.

At least SMF has this.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-to-smf-forum/

I wish bbpress where a truly “out of the box” solution with all the SMF features already built in.

I wish bbpress were a plugin, or in WP core, so that all I had to do was click a few buttons and it was there.

I wish this WP/forum plugin also had a bbsync blog-post-to-forum-post automatic function that I could just switch on, also WP core.

But it isn’t. BBpress seems to have all sorts of issues integrating with WP. I may as well just operate 2 separate databases, and keep the thing simple. Once users have logged in and accepted the cookies they don’t have to keep logging in anyway… they’re auto-logged in. If a WP post can be automatically shunted across to SMF as an SMF post with an automated link to that post, wow!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Olaf Lederer
    Participant

@finalwebsites

Sure step over to SMF if you like to have:

– more spam

– more plugins (to get it working as a forum should work)

I never tried to use bbpress with wordpress, but I’m sure that both are able to work together (based on the same script)

I’ve never quite understood the complaints about cookies and bbPress/WordPress integration… I set up a fresh copy of 1.0.2 locally with no prior knowledge and it worked fine (Windows test server). I FTPed it onto my live server and changed over the addresses and it works fine, apart from an odd quirk to do with bb-admin and where you log in. My cookies hold across either site, and for that matter to a MediaWiki install I have tied in to the same user set.

I quite understand the issue with cross-posting though. I’d fix it myself if I could work out how to initialise bbPress core cleanly inside WordPress, but that’s not possible in 1.0, so for now all you can use is plugins that do it by HTTP. Hopefully that will be integrated into core later on, but including bbPress as a WordPress plugin would be shoehorning something that was designed to be relatively standalone into a different structure and no doubt would over complicate things.

Olaf, SMF 2.0 is nearly done. They’re down to RC1 or something now… many new features.

kawauso, Well, it might complicate things for the programmers but wouldn’t it simplify things for us, the users? EG: People are starting to flock to Joomla’s “Kunena” forum because it is a plug-in that fits snugly inside the Joomla core and automatically makes use of all the Joomla user profiles etc. They’re integrating it with all the Joomla social stuff, so even though it is at a far earlier stage of development than bbpress, the end product will be the joomla equivalent of WP, Buddypress and BBpress all neatly rolled into one. I was chatting with one of the Kunena developers the other night and explained what I liked about old (dead) bbsync, and he said once J1.6 came out he’d have a look at integrating a similar function in K1.6. Sounds good.

There are things I really love about WP! But the problems with BBpress remain:

* too many plug-ins external to the core software just to get it to run normal forum functionality that comes ‘out of the box’ with most other forums, meaning too many 3rd party functions that might one day no longer be supported (like bbsync)

* no bbsync

* not an easy install plug-in to wp.

Mark

@delayedinsanity

“* too many plug-ins external to the core software just to get it to run normal forum functionality that comes ‘out of the box’ with most other forums, meaning too many 3rd party functions that might one day no longer be supported (like bbsync)”

What plugins are necessary? I’m running bbpress with absolutely no plugins at the moment (though to be fair, I fully plan on adding a few), and I seem to be able to set up forums, post topics, and then reply to said topics. That seems to be the basic functionality of a forum to me?

“* no bbsync”

If you really need to duplicate content, you could always use cp

“* not an easy install plug-in to wp. “

I’ll agree, I would have jumped for joy had this been the case. Though honestly integration (shallow or deep) really doesn’t take a whole lot of effort at all.

Have you asked the author of the plugin if s/he plans to update it? You never know, it could be in the works right now.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar