Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

It’s time for next alpha

• Ok, guis, WP 2.7 is here. Give us bbpess alpha 3 to test it. :)

Because of … there are only 59 active tickets ;)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Why not let Sam have a little more time on it and give Michael some time to recover from the WP 2.7 release so he can switch back his mindset over here when he can.

WP 2.7 is nothing to celebrate, it’s more bloated than ever before and breaks more plugins than ever before. I wouldn’t be in a rush to upgrade to it on existing sites. I really miss the light/fast mentality of WP 2.0 and 2.1 – long gone now.

Oh also, the next alpha will have even more internal changes than the change from 1.0a1 to 1.0a2 – it’s not ready yet IMHO as I already found three bugs in it yesterday.

It also completely renames many files which is going to cause a mess for those who simply dump one install over another in their directory.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Oh and by the way, you don’t have to wait for official releases, simply install a SVN client and you can keep in sync with the very newest trunk copy (or any other release) any time you’d like.

It’s the same technique as for WordPress so use these instructions

https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing/Updating_WordPress_with_Subversion

also see this topic for more details/ideas

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/svn-procedure-for-checking-out-bbpress

and if your server is on apache, here’s how to easily install SVN as a client instead of the full package:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/svn-procedure-for-checking-out-bbpress#post-18739

I know what is SVN, man :) And use it every day, for bbpress tests too. But alphas are good for bug reports, help others and wordpress integration testing. We sould discuss one named pie of code. I love digits (rev numbers are digits too), it’s my job, but the people is normal guys collection.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I think what CK is saying, is that the developers of WP and BBP have lots on their desk right now, and before we put more pressure on them to produce more results, we should let them finish the work they’ve got.

bbPress doesn’t quite have the panache of WordPress yet. It doesn’t have the user-base or the following or the demand. I think all of us share your enthusiasm for wanting a new version, but I also think that once bbPress gains momentum there will be no shortage of upgrades and new versions, especially if WordPress is any indication of their intent to produce new versions.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

The state the trunk is in right now needs a great deal more bug reports – I find at least one new problem every time I try it because they keep changing chunks of code that are critical with backwards compatibility.

You don’t want to unleash it as a regular release in that state, even as an alpha, because despite my constant warnings and explanations, people use the alpha on live, active sites, usually because they absolutely have to use the very newest WordPress despite it’s bloat and bugs.

I’m fairly certain there will be another alpha release before the end of the year though.

If you know how to use SVN then you can help contribute with quality bug reports on TRAC.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar