Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Issue displaying User Profiles (bbPress 2.0 Plugin)

• woodwardmatt

@woodwardmatt

Hey All,

I have installed the bbPress plugin on a few wordpress instances and tend to favour a vanilla install coupled with CSS overrides to provide the look & feel I need.

On a recent install I have spotted an issue with user profiles. When I try and navigate to the user’s profile (typically yoursite.com/users/<username>) I am receiving a 404 page from WordPress.

I can browse to another users profile and it resolves fine. The only difference I can see is that the profile which is not working has a username which has spaces e.g. FirstName LastName as opposed to FirstNameLastName.

Has anyone else had this issue and know if its a genuine bug or a “feature”? :P

Cheers, Matt

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Seems like a bug with the generating of the actual link. User profile links should be using the user_nicename, which is a sanitized version of the user_login.

Can you confirm what the user_nicename is for the user you’re seeing this issue with? Do you have any other plugins responsible for creating users (Facebook, Twitter) that might not be obeying the expected formatting of user_nicename?

woodwardmatt

@woodwardmatt

Hey JJJ, I’ve just checked the user_nicename within the database and this is formatted the same i.e. “FirstName LastName” including the space.

This user was created manually initially (and the user profile worked). Since then I have installed a commercial membership plugin that may have had its hand at work here (although it really shouldn’t have).

I’ve done some further testing and have been able to see that the user_nicename formatting is changed when using a update function of the membership plugin. This is obviously the cause of the issue here.

Is there anywhere that the expected formatting of the user_nicename property is detailed so that I can refer the plugin author to it? Seems the fault lies with their coding.

Thanks for your input & help!

woodwardmatt

@woodwardmatt

I think that member needs to be blocked – spam *sigh*

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar