Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Integrating WPMU trunk and bbPress RC2

• Alex

@hempsworth

What are the current installation instructions for bbPress, BuddyPress and WPMU?

Using the RC2 of bbPress, and the current trunk revision of WPMU, I go through the install and add the secret keys etc, define the primary WPMU blog (1), and get to the end but it asks me to create an admin account – it always used to use ‘admin’ automatically.

Am I doing something wrong? When I use the username ‘admin’ it brings an error that the user already exists….

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • This report sounds similar, although it sounds like they may have been using an earlier RC:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/wordpress-mu-271-and-bbpress-10-rc-integration-problem

There was a solution linked from there … hope that points you in the right direction! There was also an integration guide someone created here:

http://umwblogs.org/wiki/index.php/Integrating_WPMu%2C_BuddyPress%2C_and_bbPress

Hope one of those helps!

Alex

@hempsworth

Okay, I’ve managed to get it working (kind of) by installing without integration and putting it in later from the admin panel.

Even though I defined the ‘user abilities’ mapping, so that Admin = Key Master, when I’m logged in as the WPMU site admin I cannot access the bbPress admin panel.

Any way I can change the database directly to give me access? bbPress is definitely using the WPMU userdata, I just need these role mapping to work!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

hempsworth, if your only problem is not being able to access the bbPress admin panel, then you’re experiencing the last little bits of a cookie issue. Check the paths, domains, and hash’s of your cookies, and make sure that all of them are getting dropped from both sides.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Something must be up with the trunk…

If I install bbPress in a sub folder of WordPress, what seems to happen regardless of my settings or fudges, is that the bbPress login cookie is dropped with a “Host: domain.com” and a login via WordPress drops a cookie with a “Domain: .domain.com”

I’ve matched the URL’s, used with and without the integration speedup short-cut, deep/shallow integration, etc… Basically I’ve tried wiggling the settings back and forth, to no avail.

I was actually going to start my integration screen casts, so I suppose this will wait until tomorrow. haha! :D

I was able to get a WordPress login to drop cookies like “Host: domain.com” but the cookies the integration plugin drops are still “Domain: .domain.com” (If it dropped “Host: domain.com”, or if bbPress knew to look for “Domain: .domain.com” I suspect they’d work just fine.)

Note: I swear this WAS working earlier last week, as I’ve integrated two sites successfully with login/logout working from either direction.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Try fudging it by adding a subdomain to the WordPress URLs in the WordPress Integration section.

I’m going to look at WPMU integration now to see what else might be up there.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The first time through, the speedup didn’t give me $bb->cookiedomain, but after adding it manually I can get them to sync up so the domains are the same, but something is still off. I’m heading to bed now but will be back in a few hours to keep at it. Sam I’ll try your suggestion also.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Here is what worked for me, on my WPMU sub-domain setup. (Sam, when you go through this, I understand that bbPress stores the salts in the DB and that they aren’t needed here, but for some reason I just feel better inside knowing I put them there the same as they are in wp-config.php :) )

2:05pm eastern time – UPDATE: I have confirmed these settings work on both WPMU subdomain and subdirectory installs. All logins/logouts, cookie clears, posting, and admin panel access works 100%.

WordPress MU is installed on the domain root, bbPress is installed in a SUB-DIRECTORY called “support”

Terms

SUB-DIRECTORY = Name of directory that bbPress is installed in
    HASH-FROM-FIREFOX = Cookie hash taken from pre-integrated login cookie
    GENERATED = String generated by WordPress key/salt generator

bb-config.php

// DEEP INTEGRATION AT THE VERY TOP
    // (Sam, I can see you shaking your head right now)
    if ( !defined('ABSPATH') & !defined('XMLRPC_REQUEST') & !defined('BB_IS_ADMIN')) {
    define('WP_USE_THEMES', false);
    include_once( '/absolute/path/to/domain.com/wp-blog-header.php' );
    //unset($wp_object_cache);
    header("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
    header("Status: 200 All rosy") ;
    }

// Typical database stuff - blah blah blah

define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '/');
    define('COOKIEHASH', 'HASH-FROM-FIREFOX' );

define('BB_AUTH_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('BB_NONCE_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('BB_AUTH_SALT', 'GENERATED');
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'GENERATED');
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_SALT', 'GENERATED');

$bb->bb_xmlrpc_allow_user_switching = true;

// WordPress database integration speedup
    $bb->wp_table_prefix = 'wp_';
    $bb->wordpress_mu_primary_blog_id = 1;
    $bb->user_bbdb_name = '';
    $bb->user_bbdb_user = '';
    $bb->user_bbdb_password = '';
    $bb->user_bbdb_host = '';
    $bb->user_bbdb_charset = '';
    $bb->user_bbdb_collate = '';
    $bb->custom_user_table = '';
    $bb->custom_user_meta_table = '';

// WordPress cookie integration speedup
    $bb->wp_siteurl = 'http://domain.com'; // no trailing slash
    $bb->wp_home = 'http://domain.com'; // no trailing slash
    $bb->cookiedomain = '';
    $bb->cookiepath = '/';
    $bb->authcookie = 'wordpress_HASH-FROM-FIREFOX';
    $bb->secure_auth_cookie = 'wordpress_sec_HASH-FROM-FIREFOX';
    $bb->logged_in_cookie = 'wordpress_logged_in_HASH-FROM-FIREFOX';
    $bb->admin_cookie_path = '/SUB-DIRECTORY/bb-admin';
    $bb->core_plugins_cookie_path = '/SUB-DIRECTORY/bb-plugins';
    $bb->user_plugins_cookie_path = '/SUB-DIRECTORY/my-plugins';
    $bb->sitecookiepath = '';
    $bb->wp_admin_cookie_path = '/wp-admin';
    $bb->wp_plugins_cookie_path = '/wp-content/plugins';
    define('WP_AUTH_COOKIE_VERSION', 1);

wp-config.php

define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '/');
    define('COOKIEHASH', 'HASH-FROM-FIREFOX');

define('AUTH_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('NONCE_KEY', 'GENERATED');
    define('AUTH_SALT', 'GENERATED');
    define('LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'GENERATED');
    define('SECURE_AUTH_SALT', 'GENERATED');

russell-crosswy

@russell-crosswy

The last post from johnjamesjacoby got the cookies between WordPress MU and bbPress working, but now it seems I can’t logout from either WPMU or bb. I don’t see any error messages upon logging in.

Anything I should look for?

Trunk WPMU is not ready for production. It has some issues.

2.7.1 is stable but requires a patch for SSL.

Also you can get it working without the integration speed up.

COOKIE_DOMAIN is necessary for WPMU.

Try 2.7.1, the new BBPress v1 with the Integration Plugin V1 without SSL.

Follow all the directions and HTTP auth will work out of the box. It’s smooth.

(More work is required for SSL *IF* your going that route).

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar