Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

integrating bbpress with wordpress

• hey guys,

i have followed the instructions on the forums/extend for intgegrating bbpress and wordpress.

It all seems to work – bbpress knows about the wordpress users.

Only problem is that i have to login to both wordpress & bbpress seperately – I thought it was supposed to support 1 login for both – using the same cookie or something?

the test site is:

blog.lumanation.com

the forums link at the top takes you to the bbpress install

any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

also – any ideas on how to embed the bbpress install into wordpress – is it just a matter of hacking up the bbpress templates or is there a more elegant way similar to the wordpress rs-discuss/xdforum plugins?

Cheers!

Adam

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I would try the cookie sharing stuff in both bbPress config.php:

$bb->cookiedomain = '.lumanation.com';

$bb->cookiepath = '/';

And then maybe the cookie stuff that you can put in WordPress wp-config.php (can’t remember the format) if the first stuff just doesn’t work out straight away.

If the users are there it is because the integration is working, just the cookies are not sharing. Try that out and let me know.

Trent

doh! i am an idiot!

I’ve gotta learn to read ALL the instructions.

WordPress address (URL) // No trailing slash.

Cheers Trent the login seems to work fine now!

Any ideas on the embedding thing? Just a matter of chopping into the my-template files?

Cheers!

Hello. I have a WordPress installation (2.1) at / and then the bbPress installation (0.8) at /forums/. I have followed the instructions: https://bbpress.org/documentation/integration-with-wordpress/ and still no go. The WordPress integration plugin is installed and activated in my WP install and I have defined the bbPress tables (bb_) prefix correctly in the plugin options.

I have defined the options:

$bb->wp_table_prefix = ‘wp_’; // WordPress table prefix. Example: ‘wp_’;

$bb->wp_home = ‘http://test.com’; // WordPress – Options->General: Blog address (URL) // No trailing slash. Example: ‘http://example.com’

$bb->wp_siteurl = ‘http://test.com’; // WordPress – Options->General: WordPress address (URL) // No trailing slash. Example: ‘http://example.com’

in my config.php file, but do I need to add anything else? Right now, my WordPress users cannot log into the bbPress install, and the bbPress users cannot log into the WordPress install. Any help would be creatly appreciated.

Did you install bbPress before or after having that information in your config.php? Did you see the WP users in the install process when you installed?

Trent

I believe I defined the WP information post installation, so I deleted the bbPress DB, created a new one, went through the 1 step install and still no go. None of the WP users show up in the bbPress user list and I still cannot log in with to WP with the bbPress users nor log into bbPress with the WP users. When I look at my bbPress DB, I have the following tables:

bb_forums

bb_posts

bb_tagged

bb_tags

bb_topicmeta

bb_topics

wp_usermeta

wp_users

As soon as I saw the DB structure, I realized that I needed to specify my WP database, and not create a new one for bbPress for this to work. Once I put in my WP DB information at the top of the config.php file, all worked! Thanks for your prompt response.

No problem! Good to here!

Trent

Hello!

My question is about embedding the bbPress into the WP.

I’d like my WP to work like this website.

I’ve installed the WP, bbP and the integrater plugin (activeted) you advised in an article.

Can you advise me what should I do?

Many thanks guys!

Hey,

I just wanted to say that I just installed bbPress in a subdomain from my forum and got the cookie syncing to work fine.

Much thank to Trent, who provided half the solution:

$bb->cookiedomain = '.lumanation.com';
    $bb->cookiepath = '/';

made it so that forum-generated cookies worked for the entire website. I had to go into wordpress root and edit wp-settings.php line 190:

define(COOKIE_DOMAIN, '.example.com');

I do not understand how it worked previously, as it defined it simply as false (I assume that the browser will automagically substitute the domain that the user is currently on?). However, hardcoding the domain worked for me, and as long as I remember to change this in future upgrades I should be fine.

I did have troubles, especially logging out, while testing all this, and found that it’s vital to clear your cookies manually as the wordpress/bbpress logouts were clearing different cookies and you could stay logged in despite trying to log out.

But yeah, I’m all good. :) Thanks guys.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar