Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installing bbPress

• Hello,

I uploaded the bbpress folders and files to my server and put the MySQL information into the config file.

So now the directions say to “Load bb-admin/install.php in your web browser and do what it tells you”. So I clicked on the “bb-admin” folder, then clicked on the “index.php” file, then clicked on the url link, and my browser opened up a page that said this…

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Access denied for user ‘jim1234’@’localhost’ (using password: NO) in /home/jim1234/public_html/forum/bb-includes/db.php on line 73

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/jim1234/public_html/forum/bb-includes/db.php on line 73

Cannot select DB.

What am doing wrong?? Any help greatly appreciated.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • For whatever reason, it doesn’t like the information that you put in config.php for your database. You better make sure that is 100% correct and running. Also search this forum for some localhost installs for ideas!

Trent

Hello Trent, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I’m not completely sure if the information that I put in that file is correct. Is there a specific place where I can find that MySQL information to plug in there? Thanks again.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think this is related to this trac ticket:

https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/745

There is a patch attached there:

https://trac.bbpress.org/attachment/ticket/745/745c.diff

But, read the bug report first to see if this is your problem. I think it is.

Hello chrishajer, thanks for your reply.

I’m having a heck of a time trying to make sense of what I should do now lol. This is VERY confusing to me. I looked for a “db-mysqli.php” file in the bbpress files that I uploaded and did not see anything similar to that. And I don’t see that line 80 “mysql_get_server_info”, which it says should be changed to “mysqli_get_server_info” anywhere in the config.php file. I’m real lost here lol, so if anyone can just point in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Looks like mdawaffe is working on a different solution as well (read to the bottom):

https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/745

Did you already try applying that patch with the patch command on linux (there are probably equivalents on Windows and Mac, but I don’t know what they are)?

Thanks again chrishajer,

Yeah I’m running windows so I have no idea what the equivalent would be.

mdawaffe keeps talking about “line 80”, changing “line 80”. But I don’t know, line 80 of what? lol.

Man I had no idea that installing bbpress was going to be so difficult, installing wordpress itself was not bad at all.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Normally, bbPress is not this bad. A couple bugs were introduced which create problems on some systems. My install from a year ago was no where near this hard, but I checked out the new code and if I installed it I would have had this same trouble.

I think the line 80 being referenced is line 80 of /bb-includes/db-mysqli.php

https://trac.bbpress.org/browser/trunk/bb-includes/db-mysqli.php#L80

I think there are 3 possible workarounds:

1. You can try overwriting /bb-includes/db-mysqli.php with /bb-includes/db.php

2. You can manually modify line 80 of /bb-includes/db-mysqli.php

3. You can apply the 745c.diff patch attached to trac ticket 745

4. Wait for mdawaffe to fix it permanently.

I guess a 5th option is to move on to other forum software. I hope you don’t do that. bbPress is nice when it works (which is 99.9% of the time.)

I installed wordpress without problem for two different blogs, but cannot get bbpress to install. I’ve spent a few hours trying out things this past week with no success. The patch by mdawaffe fixes my error messages related to mysql_get_server_info, however I still get some other strange messages:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/10/d171407036/htdocs/bcg/mastertemplate/blog/bbpress/bb-includes/db-mysqli.php:473) in /homepages/10/d171407036/htdocs/bcg/mastertemplate/blog/bbpress/bb-admin/install.php on line 10

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/10/d171407036/htdocs/bcg/mastertemplate/blog/bbpress/bb-includes/db-mysqli.php:473) in /homepages/10/d171407036/htdocs/bcg/mastertemplate/blog/bbpress/bb-includes/functions.php on line 1898

Can anyone help me with this? I just set up a WordPress blog for a new product we’re distributing, and would like a forum in conjunction with it, so bbPress would be perfect.

If I can’t set up bbPress right now because the code is buggy, does anyone have suggestions for other forum software? I would even be ok with temporarily using a different forum setup, then porting it over to bbPress later (if that’s straightforward???).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I’m a knowledgeable computer consultant, but pretty inexperienced in blogs/forums. I can follow the conversation about patching the php files, and did so using standard web authoring tools. However, I’m not interested in becoming an expert on code versions or using diff tools. I just want a forum software that works well with my new blog for the benefit of our clients, with a minimum of fuss.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The “Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by” error comes from having whitespace before the opening <?php or after the closing ?> in a php file. I would check any modified files for an extra blank line at the beginning or end and see if deleting the line takes care of the problem.

Thanks again,

I just overwrote /bb-includes/db-mysqli.php with /bb-includes/db.php and then tried it again it got this message

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Access denied for user ‘jim1234’@’localhost’ (using password: NO) in /home/jim1234/public_html/forum/bb-includes/db.php on line 73

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/jim1234/public_html/forum/bb-includes/db.php on line 73

Cannot select DB.

Do you know of another good forum software that is much easier to install? Thanks

I have tried all fixes posted here and everywhere else in the forum (yes, everything), but still get error messages – no installation past Go.

edited … see below

My apologies – I looked through the forum again and found the solution – what I thought was my database password was incorrect. The correct password will be the same as in wp-config.php. Then I just had to overwrite db-mysqli.php with db.php.

After installation I had issues due to pretty URLs – I set this back to false in config.php and everything was fine then. I’ll investigate the required .htaccess settings later to get the pretty URLs working again.

“what I thought was my database password was incorrect. The correct password will be the same as in wp-config.php”

Wow, that worked!! I changed the password in config.php to the match the one in wp-config.php, and now my forum is up and running!

Many thanks. :)

Hello again everyone,

Thanks again for helping to get my forum up.

My question now is, how can I add a new page to my wordpress site that doesn’t have my blog entries on it? You know, like it would still have the site logo at the top, and the sidebar on the right, but then the main part of the page would be blank. The idea is that I would then put my forum on that page, inside an inframe. But I just want to know how to add that blank page.

Thanks very much.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

In WordPress, just publish a page with no content in it. That gives you a blank page. That is not going to help accomplish what you want though. You can put an iframe in a WordPress page, but I don’t think the bbPress software will work there. All the links will be “out” of the WordPress page and iframe.

It was discussed here about a month ago:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/unable-to-log-in-in-iframes?replies=9#post-11042

Getting your bbPress install to look like your WordPress install takes a bit of work. It’s not as simple as putting it in an iframe.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar