Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installation madness o_O

• Hi everyone,

I’ve successfully installed PHPBB3 forums, WordPress blogs etc etc… and somehow, I’m having a nightmare installing BBpress…

I’m not a coding/IT guru but I’m not a beginner either so this makes the thing even more frustrated. By wanting to make the installation process easy, the description lacks a lot of details I believe. Here’s what I have:

– Yahoo web hosting

– MySQL Server version: 4.1.14

– MySQL client version: 3.23.49

– phpMyAdmin latest version

Steps:

1. download bbpress

2. upload it to gufugumu.com/bbpress

3. go to the url gufugumu.com/bbpress -> installation window appears fine

4. Step1 – fill the information

– Database name : guillos

– Database user : admin

– Database password : *********

Then comes the famous error : “There was a problem connecting to the database you specified. Please check the settings, then try again.”

So I can’t pass step1. I then look in the forum but could not find anything usefull. One would expect that installing a forum should not require advanced PHP or MySQL knowledge. This is quite annoying.

Also, if I try to remove the “-sample” from the “bb-config-sample.php” then I get the error message “ERROR: Could not establish a database connection”. Finally, I have also created the database in phpMyAdmin. Of course there’s 0 tables.

Any help would be extremly nice as I’m about to give up and go for PHPBB3…

Thanks in advance

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Don’t rename bb-config-sample.

Finally, I have also created the database in phpMyAdmin. Of course there’s 0 tables.

That’s fine :) You have to create the DB before bbPress can connect to it. bbPress doesn’t make the DB for you (any more than WordPress does so this should be familiar).

You should be able to run the install now, though make sure bbPress can write to the bbpress folder, so it can create the bb-config.php file as it goes (you can remove the access later).

Thanks for the quick reply Ipstenu. It still doesn’t work so I went to the yahoo hosting control panel and set up a WordPress blog since the database can be shared. It gave me the username, password and database name. But now, whenever I’m trying to reach the folder (http://gufugumu.com/guillos) it redirects me to http://gufugumu.com/bb-admin/install.php which of course does not exist… I have placed everything in http://gufugumu.com/guillos/

any idea?

thanks in advance

Grblrlblrlblll… now it works but i had to recreate database with different names, password is all diferent etc etc. Forum is installed but that was quite something :)

thanks again for your help Ipstenu

It’s frustratingly awkward to install isn’t it. I hope this improves somehow. I managed it once before after (a long time spent) integrating it with WordPress but now I want to install it again as a stand-alone I’m finding it near impossible to get past “There was a problem connecting to the database you specified. Please check the settings, then try again”. These forums are near useless too.

Gautam

@gautam2011

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar