Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Install4free.bbpress.org?

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Is there any interest in doing something like this for bbPress?

http://install4free.wordpress.net/

There are quite a few gotchas in getting bbPress up and running these days. The latest development trunk doesn’t work, and the 0.8.3.1 release doesn’t work for a lot of people either. So, people are forced to edit files, apply patches or download an interim revision. What if we did something like http://install4free.wordpress.net/ but for bbPress?

I have offered to help people off list before, but some are hesitant. Having something like this would add legitimacy to anyone offering to help. In fact, it flips it around. Someone wanting help requests it at that site, and then a volunteer from the project contacts them. Not as much chance of a random dude trying to mess with their server.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I’ve never participated in the WP one but if it’s straightforward enough and has no liability I’ll volunteer to do basic bbPress installs.

I’ve been thinking of looking at the fantastico script for wordpress and hacking it to do bbpress and sending to them to include. That would radically increase the number of installs. Maybe even try to make a regular cpanel script too like the phpbb install (cpaddon).

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That’s a good idea: if a host can offer it pre-installed, it would definitely increase usage. We’d need to get it to a pretty stable point before doing that though.

Maybe post-1.0. I think the barrier for entry for running a pre-1.0 thing should be at least being able to install it yourself.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Build 1075 has gotten pretty good on the nearly auto-install part.

It’s smarter than previous versions.

Since it’s password compatible with WordPress 2.4, if no other build is public-ready by then, I’d suggest releasing 1075 as bbPress 0.8.4 to somewhat match numbers.

Unfortunately there are cookie and password hash incompatibilities between 1075 and the current release of WordPress. Otherwise we probably would release it.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

But WP 2.4 should be out in March perhaps?

So it would be a nice co-release at that time.

I’ve got the two trunks purring along together, though I had to smack WP into submission to reduce the default mysql queries per page (27 for the default install with a single test post is a little high, wouldn’t you say?) Still trying to figure out if I can disable the new tag system in WP to reduce the load further.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar