Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Install on same database as WP?

• dboze

@dboze

I’m hoping I did this correctly…

I think it was step 2 of the install where you enter in your database details..

I entered in my wordpress database details so that they share the same user database.

This was the correct thing to do?

Also, it seems to work, my admin account worked for both the site and on the forum so it looks like my account is shared.

One problem though, when I login on the site and then go to the forums sometimes it is still logged out on the forums.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

dboze

@dboze

awesome, thank you!

jcriley

@jcriley

I’ve watched the video and it seems to be very comprehensive, however, upon step 1, I’m getting the following error:

“There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.

Please check the settings, then try again.”

I’ve input the following in the fields

wordpress

mywpdatabase username

mywpdatabase password

localhost

utf8

this field blank

forum1_

you have any suggestions?

royho
    Participant

@royho

@jcriley,

Your error message immediately tells me that either your login credentials are not correct or your database does not exist or has a wrong name. Did you create the database first before you try to install it? And by the way, I wouldn’t enter “wordpress” if i were you because that could potentially wipe out your wordpress database. You should create a separate database for bbPress and integrate the two if you like.

jcriley

@jcriley

@royho,

thanks for the info. i’m pretty novice at this & my first attempt at a forum. how do i create a new database? is it as simple as just creating a new folder to drop bbpress in? if so, do i do it inside the main wp database or adjacent to it?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You can use the same database, just use a different table prefix from where WordPress is installed (it looks like you are using forum1_ which is good.)

If you are using that database for WordPress now, then you have one of the details wrong. It’s pretty simple, but it either works or it doesn’t. If you have a detail wrong somewhere, it won’t connect.

jcriley

@jcriley

I host with godaddy (i know, everyone hates godaddy but i’m still a novice & they’re pretty user friendly for beginners :~) should i contact them to get the settings? or will they have any idea what i’m talking about?

royho
    Participant

@royho

Again I would still not install bbPress on the same DB because if I ever wanted to just get rid of bbPress, i simply can delete the whole DB without a care but if it is installed within WP DB, I would have to find each table that is associated with bbPress in your case is prefixed to forum1 and delete all those. For a total novice, it would not be easy to know that technically.

Every hosting account should have their own UI/utility for you to create a database and assign a user to. Godaddy will have that as well, just go into your control panel and you should find it. If memory serves me correctly they also use phpMyAdmin. But I would definitely have a knowledgeable person do it for you.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You can certainly use another database for bbPress, but there’s no need for it, it makes integration more difficult, and creating a new database is not going to help with the original problem, which is just incorrect database connection details.

royho
    Participant

@royho

I don’t see how it would make integration more difficult?

But yes this error has nothing to do with new database but a simple error in database connection. I was merely trying to suggest from the beginning to simplify the process…

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar