Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Include sub-forum topics in parent forum loop

• dryan1144
    Participant

@dryan1144

Out of the box, bbpress shows topics from a particular forum when you are on that forum’s archive page. Makes sense. If that forum has a sub-forum, it will link to those sub-forums, but it won’t show the actual topics from that sub-forum.

I’m trying to modify the default bbpress loop on a forum page (loop-topics.php) to include the sub-forum topics.

Here’s an explanation:

Forum A
    Sub-forum A1
    Sub-forum A2
    Forum B
    Sub-forum B1
    Sub-forum B2
    So when viewing Forum A’s archive page, I’d like to show topics from Forum A, sub-forum A1 and sub-forum A2.

The code needs to be dynamic in order to work with whatever parent forum archive a user is on.

You can pass wp_query args into bb_has_topics(), but I can only only come up with code that shows topics from one forum – not multiple forums.

To better explain what I’m working with, here’s an example of a loop that grabs topics from the parent forum:

<?php

$parents = get_post_ancestors( $post->ID );

$id = ($parents) ? $parents[count($parents)-1]: $post->ID;

$parent = get_page( $id );

?>

<?php $bbp_loop_args = array('post_parent' => $parent->ID, 'post_type' => 'topic'); ?>

<?php if ( bbp_has_topics($bbp_loop_args) ) : ?>

<?php while ( bbp_topics() ) : bbp_the_topic(); ?>

<?php bbp_get_template_part( 'loop', 'single-topic' ); ?>

<?php endwhile; ?>

<?php endif;?>

Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

‘You can pass wp_query args into bb_has_topics(), but I can only only come up with code that shows topics from one forum – not multiple forums.’

I’m afraid I don’t have time at the moment to do lots of coding for others, but take a look at this plugin

http://www.rewweb.co.uk/bbp-private-groups/

Look at includes/topics.php for how I did this for private groups – called pg_has_topics, it may give you some help – I used ‘post__in’ to create a list of topics to display

So you could do a coupe of loops to create this list and the pass that to the bbp_has_topics function.

‘post__in’ is realy, useful sometimes

see

http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query

dryan1144
    Participant

@dryan1144

Thanks Robin I will have a look at your code.

Robin W

@robin-w

great – if you fix it, please post the solution here to help others !

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.