Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

importing SMF users into bbPress

• I was considering moving from SMF to bbPress and I was wondering if users can be imported from SMF to bbPress…

Also is there any way to move content?

And will bbPress users be synced with WP users?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

bbPress and WordPress users can be sync’d without too much hassle.

Sadly I don’t know the answers to the SMF question, but Paul Hawke has been working on an import to bbPress feature, i think it’s in this thread:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/import-data-from-system-xy

That would certainly be my first port of call.

As much as I like bbPress, I’d also strongly advise thinking long and hard before moving to it. It’s feature list is limited at best, and right now Automattic can’t even get the theme fo this website right. AS long as it meets your criteria then Awesome, but definately look into this first :)

Kev

Yeah I am not too sure myself… I am not a big fan of its limited feature set (I hate not being able to receive email notifications of replies to my posts)… really the only reason why I was considering it is because I would like to have ONE login for all my things on my site…

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Well, one login works really well if you follow the steps. Don’t rely on the old “5 minute install” or whatever its called these days.

And email notifications has been working as a plugin for about 2 years, and recently Matt decided that it was key to roll it into the core, so you can actually get it working out of the box with teh latest trunk version (which is actually good/stable and an upgrade on bbPress1.0.2).

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

I know someone who converted from SMF1.1.x to bbPress 1.0 by converting via phpBB3

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Brilliant Ryan, thought it was possible.

Are you still using SMF your self mate?

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

Yes, I’m still using SMF myself. If bbPress changes to being a WordPress plugin I might switch, but at the moment I’ll be sticking with SMF. If it aint broke don’t fix it is my motto as far as forum softwares go.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Oh yeah totally agree, and your forums are nice and work well for you.

I suppose then I’m asking if you have any tutorial/guides/tips from whoever converted from SMF to bbPress via phpBB3.

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

No, they just told me about it via an IM chat a while ago.

IIRC they just converted to phpBB3 and then on to bbPress. That seems to be the standard way of converting between most forum softwares (via phpBB2 or phpBB3).

I think he had a few minor problems with a small details such as website links not being transferred over. But the guts of it, posts, topics, usernames and passwords were all shifted flawlessly from what I heard.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar