Categories
Search
Bottom

Import users on site > 1?

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

I’ve setup WordPress multisite.

Using the built in importer from vbulletin (which works great), I am curious, my forums are going to be on site #2, not my primary install site.

So if I do this, run the importer, and import all users/posts from vbulletin, the users are then added to site #2, or both site #1 and #2? (site #1 is root site)

Or:
    Am I better off, this sounds stupid, importing the users/forums from vb into my root site #1, then erasing the forums/topics/replies, keeping the users, and then going to site #2 and doing a forum only import?

Goal:
    Obviously I need users to be able to login to site#2, but would also like to make sure all users are able to login to the parent ‘global’ site #1.

How should I proceed?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• ctekmusic
    Participant

@ctekmusic

Hi

I can’t say what the best approach is but here’s what works for me.

I mainly wanted all my users on site 6 but I thought it would be good if they were members on all sites in case I added community features into the other 5 sites.

I ended up using this plugin Multisite User Management. Whenever you add a new user it will add it to as many of your sites as you like. Been using it for ages with no complaints, one of my favourite plugins.

Hope this helps

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@ctekmusic
    Thanks, yes I have used that plugin in the past, and even modified it for custom use.

Mostly I was asking JJ about the logic in the importer to see if the users are added as global users in the primary blog id as well as the site I am running the forum on.

> Am I better off, this sounds stupid, importing the users/forums from
    > vb into my root site #1, then erasing the forums/topics/replies,
    > keeping the users, and then going to site #2 and doing a forum only
    > import?

This option I am pretty sure will not work in the way during the import that the topics and replies are matched to user ID’s, essentially during the import bbPress can not match the vBulletin (or any other forum) UserID to an existing WordPress user.

As for the other side of things I haven’t tried to do what you are trying to do with MultiSite though a quick test install locally to give it a run through different scenarios would be the best bet to see what the outcome is.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@netweb
    Good catch, I didn’t even think about vb having to link to the user id.

I was hoping to avoid setting up a dummy site to test this, but I guess with this much involved I probably should. I’ll do the test tomorrow and report back so maybe others will benefit in the future.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar