Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Import from SmartMachines?

• LeftCoastMichael

@leftcoastmichael

We currently have a forum on SmartMachines but would like to migrate it over to a new forum using bbPress. Is it possible to import the data and structure?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Michael
    Participant

@michael888

I’ve never heard of a SmartMachines forum system – are you not talking about SimpleMachines?

EDIT: I see you are running SMF. Look into this page:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/import-smf-to-bbpress

I have not read it, but there may be some useful information.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

The directions in the URL that Michael provided might work best with bbPress 0.9. I would start with a fresh install of 0.9 then upgrade to 1.0 once you have everything working.

LeftCoastMichael

@leftcoastmichael

Wow thanks guys, we’ll try it out. And yes, it’s SMF. We can’t wait to integrate it into our new wp web site.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

I’m not sure how this will effect your intigration, but you might want to stick with 0.9 anyway. There are more compatible plugins. Good luck to you!

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

I just finished doing just this today after several dry runs. It is possible to do. Not easy but possible. I’ll be writing up how I went about doing it over the next week and will update when I do.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Steven: Good idea – I think LeftCoastMichael should maybe wait until you do so that he makes no mistake. :)

LeftCoastMichael

@leftcoastmichael

Thanks Steve, I’ll wait…

LeftCoastMichael

@leftcoastmichael

Hi Steven,

Just curious if you have an update…

Steven Hodson
    Participant

@stevenhodson

@LeftCoastMichael .. sorry about that but I’ve been tied up with life and haven’t yet started the series about converting to bbPress from SMF .. I really hope to get to it this week.

LeftCoastMichael

@leftcoastmichael

Thanks, Steve. I’m also having problems getting bbPress integrated with our WP setup. Nobody here seems to know how to do it.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

There are good methods of doing it – I’m not sure exactly as I’ve never done it before; however, you might want to clarify what type of integration you want. Are you planning to do simple login integration, or ‘deep integration’?

LeftCoastMichael

@leftcoastmichael

We’re deep integrated and the forum looks beautiful – it matches our wp theme perfectly. Now we just need to figure out how to convert over 5,000 posts and nearly 3,000 members over. We may just to it in a two-step process, using the new forum for our new products and the old forum for our legacy products. Ugh.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar