Categories
Search
Bottom

Image upload

• joesed
    Participant

@joesed

Hi

In my opinion, one of the most useful aspects of any forum is the ability for users to upload and share images.

Unless I’m missing something, bbpress doesn’t seem to have particularly good functionality in this regard.

I notice that there are a couple of plugins that support users uploading images, however they seem to be fairly old and unsupported.

Is the ability to add images to forum posts using current technology (ajax) likely to be something given attention in future releases of bbpress?

Many thanks

Joe

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

There is an option but it’s so WordPress. (half done)

This will add a WP Media upload button above the form.

<?php bbp_the_content( array( 'context' => 'topic', 'media_buttons' => true, ) ); ?>

joesed
    Participant

@joesed

Hi Shmoo

Thanks for your reply. If you can let me know where this code should go (i.e. which file and approximate line number), that’d be much appreciated.

I’m really surprised that bbpress doesn’t have much better image upload functionality. If it did it would be right up there with other forum software. As it is, it seems inferior.

Once again, thanks

Joe

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Yeah but they don’t wish to be like other forum software I guess.

bbPress wants to stay very clean, lean en mean I think. They hope somebody will ever make plugins for bbPress to accomplish all those tasks even history has proven Plugins aren’t the best way to go forward.

Anyway,
    The code-snippet should go in the template that handles the form-stuff.

Find the next files.
    wp-content / pluings / bbpress / templates / default / bbpress / form-topic.php
    wp-content / plugins / bbpress / templates / default / bbpress / form-reply.php

Copy & paste ( don’t drag & drop ) both files to your theme folder inside a new fodler called bbpress.
    wp-content / themes / your-theme-name / bbpress / ** paste them here **

Open the files and search for a line that say:
    <?php bbp_the_content( …. ); ?>

Line 66 and 92 I think it is.
    Change the code and Save it.

Refresh the page and you should see a Media upload button above the toolbar.

joesed
    Participant

@joesed

Hi Shmoo

Thanks so much. I really appreciate all of your help with this.

Much respect.

Joe

shearamariz
    Participant

@mariz_p

Hi @macpresss,

The ‘media_buttons’ => true, ), seems to be not working.
    Are there any solutions for this?
    I really don’t want to use plugin for this.
    I hope for your response.

Thanks.

afgarcia86
    Participant

@afgarcia86

@macpresss, that tip helped me out, however I am getting an upload error when I try to add an image. Though if I refresh the page the image is uploaded. Any ideas?

Frumph
    Participant

@frumph

^ the user needs to have the correct rights for example

function add_theme_caps() {
        $role = get_role( 'contributor' );
        $role->add_cap( 'upload_files' ); 
    }

add_action( 'admin_init', 'add_theme_caps');

If you want to add contributors and above to be able to upload_files, change that to subscriber if you want

madman_18
    Participant

@madman_18

Hi guys!

First, sorry for my bad english 😉

I try to use bbPress and need add the option to upload some img in the forum.

Well, with this steps i can see the button “Add object” but, when i push this, don’t works!

¿Anybody can help me? Thanks!! @macpresss

For an alternative way to add inline images to topics and replies without cluttering up the WordPress media system or editing user capabilities, check out our new “Image Upload for BBPress” plugin on the WordPress repository: https://wordpress.org/plugins/image-upload-for-bbpress/

PinkishHue
    Participant

@pinkishhue

@hearken Your plugin looks good, a much needed function for many bbpress users. Thank you for sharing this with us 🙂

Potent Plugins
    Participant

@hearken

@PinkishHue Glad to hear it’s useful! We built it after looking for a way to enable inline image uploads on a client’s bbPress forums and not finding anything.

shanwhit
    Participant

@shanwhit

Just an FYI this plugin does NOT work. https://wordpress.org/plugins/image-upload-for-bbpress/
    Version 1.1.18 with WordPress version 6.2.2. Allows you to click on the image icon, navigate to your image and upload. Just when you think it works…. it doesn’t. Image does NOT appear when viewing the forum. (Even if you have permission rights)

Frustrated.

Robin W

@robin-w

so have your reported this to that plugins support channel?

tapiohuuhaa
    Participant

@tapiohuuhaa

Image upload for bbPree has two vwry bad features

1. It doen’t add image to the Nedia library
    2. It puts inage to temp-folder. The address chande and umage doesn’t wirk after some time period

Robin W

@robin-w

I think you’d need to raise that with the plugin authors

ibnat
    Participant

@ibnat

Hi, I use GD bbPress Attachments

GD bbPress Attachments is an easy-to-use plugin for WordPress and bbPress for implementing files upload for bbPress Forums topics and replies. You can control file sizes from the main plugin settings panel, or you can change some attachments settings for each forum individually.

Works fine for my forum

tapiohuuhaa
    Participant

@tapiohuuhaa

It does not do what I want. I want images above, below or on the right side of the text. Not into separate attachment block.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar