Categories
Search
Bottom

I just don't get it

• jetsoftworx
    Participant

@jetsoftworx

Hi,

I simply want to use shortcodes to keep the forum on my page. I can get the the index to show up and it seems to work fine, but the breadcrumbs link back to /forums, not to my page. I’ve been looking around and I see where other people have been having the same problem yet there does not seem to be any solutions. I will continue looking I guess. If anyone knows of a solution I would love to hear it. I just don’t get why this is even a problem. Why not just use shortcodes rather than those hardcodes paths in the settings? One thing I am considering is adding a redirect from /forums to my page with the shortcode…. but then I keep thinking, why should I even have to do this? Any way, if there is a solution out there I would love to know about it.

Regards

Jarrod

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• fontadoni
    Participant

@fontadoni

My breadcrumbs work as they should. You mean your “Home” breadcrumb does not take you to your index but goes to /forums instead?

clickmac
    Participant

@clickmac

hmmm

jetsoftworx
    Participant

@jetsoftworx

i have a page called /forum that has the shortcode to display the forum index. When I click on a item it will go to that post. In the breadcrumb there will be home->forums->post, clicking on /forums takes me not to /forum where my shortcode is located but to the hard coded thingy that is defined in the plugin setup? So I have to mess around with trying to make templates just to get it working with my theme, when it just seems that if you make use of shortcodes for the operation of the forum, it would be compatible with ALL themes more or less. Is that a correct assumption?

As it stands now, I don’t think I will be able to use this plugin because I do not have the time to workout all the different things just to make it work with my theme. I really should not be complaining for something that is free to the community and it is not to diminish the great work of the developers, this is not my intent. After fiddling for days trying to get this to work correctly, I just came to the conclusion that maybe it would be better if shortcodes where used exclusively for the functionality of the operations, then all of these sorts of problems should become non existing.

if I could have a page called /forums that would override the /forums settings defined in the plugin then that would work, but how can you tell wordpress to do this? I looked and tried different things, but it all becomes way more work then it seems it should be when a shortcode would do the trick. Any way, I am curious to know how other people are getting bbPress to work properly with their themes. I am open to suggestions, ideas and thoughts.

Oh, one thing I did was to setup a redirect from /forums to /forum (forum index shortcode) and that seems to be working so far. Not sure yet what side effects maybe lurking as a result. So far so good. But when I sit back and think about it, what keeps coming to mind is… why? Why should I even have to do something like this??

Thanks

Jarrod

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar