Categories
Search
Bottom

I have created a bbPress starter theme with a phpBB look and feel

• Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Hey all,

I thought I would have a go at creating a quick and easy theme for people to get started using bbPress. This was built fairly quickly using one of my other themes (which are based off the default bbPress files).

If you want to check it out then have a look at: http://www.epicwebs.co.uk/content/bbpress-theme-invision-or-phpbb-feel or check it out on github https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs.

The theme allows you to get more of a phpBB or invision look to your forum. It uses the functions I posted previously on bbPress.org along with some css to get the forum looking nice by installing the theme. The forum should be pretty fluid so it will fit any width of site.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 136 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Neat. Any other changes? To profile pages, single topic views, etc?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Nothing on the profile pages or single topic views yet… but potentially in the future πŸ™‚

AstralShane5000
    Participant

@astralshane5000

How do I install this theme into bbPress?

Thanks!

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Download the Zip from github and then unzip it into your wordpress theme. It will take care of the rest.

Good luck!

Nice Lync… What version of bbPress did you base this from?

I will take it for a spin and closer look later…

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

I downloaded the latest version of bbPress and the latest version of wordpress, did a local install probably only 5 days ago at max and then re created it using the functions from my teamoverpowered.com site.

Lynq this is the second awesome theme like this you’ve done. When we get cracking on 2.4 I’d love for you to give us a hand and your expertise with #1958 πŸ™‚

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Sure, it would be great to be able to retrieve whatever data you wanted and then wrap it whatever tags you want using arguments πŸ™‚

Just let me know what I can help with and i’ll try my best πŸ™‚

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

#1958Β is more than just markup; it will likely take core bbPress changes to query everything efficiently.

Also, @jaredatch — don’t hijack this topic. πŸ™‚

timeonthewater
    Participant

@timeonthewater

The starter theme looks great. I don’t see any download link?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

If you go to the github page, then click zip, that’s the download link πŸ™‚

freax
    Participant

@freax_guilherme

Hi Lynq.
    I’m trying to run your code but seems to not work. I have wordpress 3.5 and CatchBox Theme. I copied the contents of “bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs-master” folder to “/public/www/wp-content/themes/catch-box/bbpress/” but it seems not working yet.

Because forums lists the topics as:

FORUM1
    Topic1(0,0), Topic2(0,0)
    FORUM2
    Topic1(0,0), Topic2(0,0)

But want to make changes to do as:

FORUM1
    Topic1 (0,0),
    Topic2 (0,0)
    FORUM2
    Topic1 (0,0)
    Topic2 (0,0)

Please, can you help ?
    Thanks in advance.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

You need to copy it to the root theme folder and not inside a bbpress folder.

freax
    Participant

@freax_guilherme

It’s working now ! Thank you for your help.

Doezer
    Participant

@doezer

Hi, I tried to install your them but it doesn’t change a thing.
    I have put the files in the right folder : wordpress/wp-content/themes/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs-master

But nothing changes after that and in the themes windows it says that the theme is corrupted because it lacks the style.css file.

Geezerjim
    Participant

@actorjiml

You need to put the files inside the theme for your site – eg: http://www.example.com/wp-content/themes/your-theme/{the contents of bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs-master file}

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

Is this the base of what teamoverpowered was built with to get the hierarchical forums setup?

I’ve been keeping an eye out on #1958 and was curious if this theme solves those issues as I have been trying to replicate a vb style bbPress theme for some time now. As I have 400k topics, I have to be extremely careful on the efficiency of the queries used.

Doezer
    Participant

@doezer

Thanks actorjml, this wasn’t very clear and there isn’t any explanations about the installation in the codex.

gasaixyuno
    Participant

@gasaixyuno

It looks pretty good.

DramaticBaby
    Participant

@dramaticbaby

Great base to start off with, I’ve done it like this myself. Too bad I didn’t start with it now, it could’ve saved me a lot of hours x)

Anyway, I have one problem. How do I add the forum descriptions beneath the forum headers? I’ve tried adding the_content() in a few places but no matter what I do the category description shows up.

So under the category and the forums the same description pops up. Any ideas?

Sincerely,
    Tobias

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

@anointed This uses the same functions that teamoverpowered.com uses, plus it only creates a couple of custom functions, these custom functions all use built in bbPress functions to retrieve any data, no custom queries.

@dramaticbaby
    This is something I am currently looking into, unfortunately it is not as easy as it sounds, i’ll keep you informed if I get round to updating the theme with this.

I will probably look at re doing the whole theme for the main forum view, sub forum view and topic view, make that nice and slick and fluid then move onto some profile pages and stuff.

Sunidaze
    Participant

@sunidaze

Nice theme, thank you… this is the first BBPress theme I’ve installed… πŸ™‚

How do I make it into one column? (no sidebar)

freax
    Participant

@freax_guilherme

I have the same problem too. I tried to find get_sidebar function to delete it from the code but I only find them in ‘extra’ directory and it is showing again. Any help ?
    Thanks in advance.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

The best way to remove a sidebar is probably to just use CSS to .sidebar { display:none } (depending on your themes markup) – it is quick and allows you to quickly add the sidebar back in should you need it later on.

Or you can go through all of the theme files and remove get_sidebar.

Good luck!

freax
    Participant

@freax_guilherme

I did the ‘display:none’ in catch-box theme but didn’t work for me. I need to remove the’get_sidebar’ from your template, BBpress, or catch-box theme ? Thanks.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar