Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I can't get my forum to functon at all.

Viewing 20 replies - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

for no. 2

add

#bbpress-forums div.bbp-forum-title h3, #bbpress-forums div.bbp-topic-title h3, #bbpress-forums div.bbp-reply-title h3, #bbpress-forums a.bbp-forum-title, #bbpress-forums a.bbp-topic-permalink {
      color: #666 !important;
      font-size: 16px !important;
    }

to your style.css

Robin W

@robin-w

for no. 1, add this code to your functions file

//display last topic title in freshness for forums
    function display_title ($anchor, $forum_id, $time_since, $link_url, $title, $active_id ) {
    $anchor = '<ul><li><a href="' . esc_url( $link_url ) . '" title="' . esc_attr( $title ) . '">' . esc_html( $title) . '</a></li></ul><a href="' . esc_url( $link_url ) . '" title="' . esc_attr( $title ) . '">' . esc_html( $time_since ) . '</a>';
    return $anchor ;
    }
    add_filter ('bbp_get_forum_freshness_link', 'display_title', 10, 6 );

Having coded it, I like the way it displays, and will be adding to the forums on one of the sites I support – one of the reasons I support this forum is that I learn and get ideas from others πŸ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

Now, can you explain what registration process you would like eg

user does this
    what user info you want
    emails goes from..to…saying
    Site manager does that…

etc. ie design your ideal process πŸ™‚

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Robin,
    Hearing someone as successful as you say that is very heartening and speaks well of your character. So often success leads to people thinking that there is nothing more to learn. It is the mark of true wisdom to know that exactly the opposite is true. I doubt that I can show anything to you but I think that the statement attests to your humility and that is even more impressive than your accomplishments. Also another true sign of character is willingness to help when there is nothing to gain for yourself. You have been helping me so selflessly out of pure desire to help and that is something that you do not see often in today’s world. Don’t ever lose these things because combined with your skill it will ensure that the sky is the limit for you.

p.s I also noticed your name ( now I know to look for name πŸ™‚ ) on the private groups plugin I am using to provide restricted forums for women dealing with special issues to find support. Thanks for that one too.

I am working on these two tasks in my test site and will let you know once I implement them.

Per your questions.

Registration

user does this – Fills out form and chooses his/her own password
    what user info you want- name, username, address, country, home parish (optional to display in the forum), hobbies (also optional)
    emails goes from..to…saying – going to user thanking them for signing up for the forum and giving forum rules and online safety guidelines from noreply@thecatholicwoman.com
    Site manager does that… I am not sure but if necessary approves of registration

etc. ie design your ideal process πŸ™‚ not sure what is possible but would like the registration o look similar to registration at a regular social media site with the ability to rescind membership if need be. Hope that helps.

This ^^^ πŸ™‚

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Robin I did both. No.1 worked both on my test and live. Fantastic outcome πŸ™‚

No 2 did not seem to work on the test so i did not add it live. I added it to the bottom of the style.css so I am unsure if that is the issue.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I am not sure if this helps but when I select bbpress forum index template from the side menu for page templates it does not allow me to put in the side bar and runs full width but the text and coloring matches my theme. When I do it with the page builder in the divi theme and I use the [bbp-forum-index] short code in a text box element and then add a sidebar element on the side, I get the side bar but the forum does not match the theme because I have to use the default template. So it is almost like it is not pulling from the coding in the style.css at all so it may make sense that my altering that file does not change it.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

One more thing Robin and I am only asking it now because I am not sure if it is easier to do it when changing the font type. I was wondering if it is possible to change the topic title color under latest post and for it to also show up in that color in the sidebar. I was just asking so that visually it does not look like all one item but it clear what the topic title is with one glance. Let me know. Thanks again.

Robin W

@robin-w

No 2 did not seem to work on the test so i did not add it live. I added it to the bottom of the style.css so I am unsure if that is the issue.

No 2 changed the font colour and size of the forum list – look at ‘prayer requests’ in you test and live sites to see the difference.

What else do you want to change?

Robin W

@robin-w

to change the font (sorry I missed that) , change it to

#bbpress-forums div.bbp-forum-title h3, #bbpress-forums div.bbp-topic-title h3, #bbpress-forums div.bbp-reply-title h3, #bbpress-forums a.bbp-forum-title, #bbpress-forums a.bbp-topic-permalink {
    color: #666 !important;
    font-family: ‘Open Sans’,Arial,sans-serif !important;
    font-size: 16px !important;
    }

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I guess that I missed that. πŸ™‚

What would I add that last css to?

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

ok. never mind I see from above it is the style.css πŸ™‚

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I now see what you mean. Also I got the font to change in both the test and live site.

About the title color I probably did not use the right term. I meant the latest topic title under the column latest post that also shows up on the sidebar under recent topics. It would be if I could change the color of both of these titles to be different that the date time stamp and user name if possible.

Thanks again

Robin W

@robin-w

hmmm.. ok but we’re starting to need lots of extra code

ok so add

#bbpress-forums a {
    color: #111111 !important ;
    }

This will change the font throughout, and you can play with the colour.

If you want the topic and date to be different, we’re getting into some real css styling, which is beyond the purpose of the bbpress support forum, and perhaps you need to start to look at how to use firebug so you can see what you need to change eg

then you can style any forums part by preceding it with

#bbpress-forums as I’ve done above.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

You know it is probably a sign that I need to stop as you advised before. Sometimes I just need to learn better to do just that πŸ™‚

The forum is great the way it is so these things are not necessary at all. I am afraid to mess with these things like firebug. πŸ™‚

Thanks so much for your help with all of this. If there is anything that I can ever do for you please do not hesitate to ask. I truly could not have got even near this far without your help.

If you know a great registration plugin that works I would welcome any suggestions.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Also I wanted to keep the update from no.2 but the new code changed the font color on the titles of the forums back to black but it did change the font. I am not sure if I was supposed ot change something.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes it was supposed to change the color to black.

You can change it to whatever color you want

see

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp

and maybe use

http://colorcop.net/

to find the right color

Please don’t stop – keep improving that is what you are supposed to do, you’ve come a long way – learned how to create a test site, add functions and styles, but it requires effort ! Learning firebug will help you tailor your site’s styling. Adding color cop will let you choose colors – please keep working at getting a site that is what you want. πŸ™‚

‘ I am afraid to mess with these things like firebug. πŸ™‚ ‘ – 1. that is what the test site is for, 2. conquering fear is part of life’s journey, and surely this is only a very petty fear – work through it !

I’ll come back on registration when I get a moment.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Robin you are so my kind of person. I love that pep talk that you gave me and it is just what I needed. πŸ™‚ Thanks.

I will play around with the color in the test area tonight.

Robin W

@robin-w

but you don’t have to do it al at once, so take a pause and go back to it in a short while… πŸ™‚

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I think that I will work on the text colors and get a good registration process in place and then work on building the community until I do much more. πŸ™‚

Viewing 20 replies - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar