Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I can't get my forum to functon at all.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ie exactly what does it say !

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

it says full width, right side bar, left side bar under a field called ET

If it is the bbp tweaks options I have copied them below.
    plugin-bbpress.php
    bbpress.php
    forums.php
    forum.php
    generic.php
    page.php
    single.php
    index.php

Files with Bold text exist.

The @thecatholicwoman wrote:
    YOU ARE A GENIUS. I have to go to the forum settings and change m root to forum. It seems to be working. I could hug you through the computer. Thanks so much for sticking with me.

You should not have had to change this, you should keep this setting as forums, changing it to forum will likely cause a slug conflict, change it back to forums.

Then you should see a list of forums here:
    http://www.thecatholicwoman.com/forums

And a list of topics here:
    http://www.thecatholicwoman.com/topics/

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I just changed it back to forums and I tested and it s working still. I appreciate the help.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

that was so cool. The topic link works now 🙂

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Can you answer a quick question for me. I am using the simplr form plus plugin and I got all of the fields set and the default pages and custom welcome page complete. However the tiny mce icon to dump the registration form into the page is not showing up on my tool bar. Any idea why that might be? I know that this is not bbpress directly but I was wondering if you were by chance familiar with the plugin.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Actually never mind I just finally found the shortcode on a google page

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

@robin-w I also went under appearance menus and chose side bar as a secondary menu but that did not change anything.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so now you need to go into

wp-content/themes/divi

and look through the page templates, hopefully one is called ‘left sidebar’ or ‘right sidebar’ if not you’ll need to open them up and look for

*Template Name: left sidebar

This is the template that you now want as bbpress, so follow the instructions

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Actually it did not have that. Closest thing it had was Divi: sidebar-footer.php

When I opened it this is what was there

<?php
    if ( ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-2’ ) && ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-3’ ) && ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-4’ ) && ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-5’ ) )
    return;
    ?>

<div class=”container”>
    <div id=”footer-widgets” class=”clearfix”>
    <?php
    $footer_sidebars = array( ‘sidebar-2’, ‘sidebar-3’, ‘sidebar-4’, ‘sidebar-5’ );

foreach ( $footer_sidebars as $key => $footer_sidebar ) :
    if ( is_active_sidebar( $footer_sidebar ) ) :
    echo ‘<div class=”footer-widget’ . ( 3 === $key ? ‘ last’ : ” ) . ‘”>’;
    dynamic_sidebar( $footer_sidebar );
    echo ‘</div> <!– end .footer-widget –>’;
    endif;
    endforeach;
    ?>
    </div> <!– #footer-widgets –>
    </div> <!– .container –>

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, use this template, but follow the instructions in https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum/#8-make-sure-bbpress-uses-the-page-template-we-want

in the copy that you have renamed bbpress then remove

<?php
     if ( ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-2′ ) && ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-3′ ) && ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-4′ ) && ! is_active_sidebar( ‘sidebar-5′ ) )
     return;
     ?>

and replace it with

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

and then ensure that bbpress tweaks is saying to use bbpress.php

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Robin I must confess i can’t figure out how to rename. I have been accessing the files by going to appearance – theme – editor and it does not seem to give me that option. I have been playing with it and trying to fire it out all day and I think that at this point I have to admit that i don’t know where to look. Sorry if I am making this harder for you with my inexperience. 🙁

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem, using the wordpress editor will not work, you’ll need to use ftp or cpanel

see the following

Functions files and child themes – explained !

on FTP and notepad++ which will get you the tools.

then you want to
    ftp the file to your pc
    open it using notepad++
    then save it to your pc as the new filename
    the edit it for the sidebar
    then save it on your pc
    the ftp the file back to your host

lots to learn, but you’ll find this useful for future as you customise you site

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Robin I have a new issue which is not traditionally for this forum so I understand if you say that i I have move it.

Last night I deleted two plugins. A logo plugin and a log in/log out plugin because it was causing a pop up that people who tested the site did not like. Well for some reason after deleting them when I returned to the site to test it my admin bar was missing. I did some research on that issue and it said to check the footer.php file to make sure that <?php wp_footer(); ?> is right above the body and it is there so I am not sure. I deactivated most of my plugins until I can figure it out but even with everything but bbpress deactivated the admin bar did not come back. Not sure what to do.

Robin W

@robin-w

so is your admin bar missing for all users or just you?

was the admin bar present when the plugins were there, and was it present for all users or just you?

do you know the exact names of the plugins you were using?

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I was not the one who had installed them but I am pretty sure that the names are login-logout and
    Custom Login Logo. I am thinking that it has to one of them because the admin bar was there and after I deleted them it is on my admin panel on word press but not on the site itself. I will try to find someone to test for me on the user side. Thanks again.

Robin W

@robin-w

I somehow suspect that what you’re calling the admin bar may well have been what login/logout was displaying.

was this admin bar at the top or bottom of you screen, and what did/does it display ?

Try adding them back one at a time and see if it comes back.

and next time don’t delete, just deactivate, then you can go back if needed 🙂

or note down exactly what you have taken away so that you can add it back !

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

It was the black bar at the top. That has howdy 🙂 on it. It was there on admin panel and on the site but it was gone after the deletion. I will make sure that I only deactivate going forward. I think that i was trying to keep my panel clean of things that I did not need but o rookie mistake that may have just caused an issue that is hard to fix. 🙁

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem in deleting, but de-activate for a while first, then clean out when you’re sure you don’t need !

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

@robin-w
    It is crazy how things work. In searching around to fix the issue I stumbled upon a page option in the setting that allowed me to put a sidebar and text that somehow I had missed before so I put the [bbp-forum-index] text in the text section and added the sidebar and my bbptweaks sidebar magically showed up once I reactivated the plugin.

I still have not fixed up the admin bar or now the slider but got the other big issue resolved. It is looking more like a traditional forum now.

P.S I read that link that you sent me and I added it to my bookmark toolbar for further reference. It was so helpful especially that bit about transferring the files to your PC. I would have never thought about that but it makes so much sense because then you can change the files as needed including renaming. I am learning so much. Thanks for that.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

about the slider it was working this morning and I did not change anything and it is not working now although all of the slider settings are the same. I tried deleting it completely and then I set it up again but it is still not working. I am not sure what is happening but it just seems that since I deleted that crazy plugin my website is going crazy.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok try

Deactivate bbpress tweaks
    Dashboard>plugins>bbpress tweaks>deactivate

Go into widgets
    Dashboard>appearance>widgets

And look at the bottom of the left hand side. You’ll see an “inactive sidebar”, with your entries on
    Below this is an “inactive widgets”
    Drag all the entries from the inactive sidebar to the inactive widgets area.
    This then allows wordpress to delete the sidebar
    I normally log out and in again at this stage – probably not needed, but I’ve never bothered to check
    Then basically reverse the above
    Re-enable bbpress tweaks
    You see the bbpress sidebar returns
    Drag the entries back from the inactive widgets area to the sidebar

As soon as you’ve got the site vaguely going again, you need to STOP !!!! YES STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Then take a breath, and create a test site – you cannot continue to develop your site in live, and you need a child theme. So you’ll need to read.

Functions files and child themes – explained !

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

Once you have a test site, you can change things there first and then when you are happy put it into live.

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

I am getting bluehost to restore my site which fixed things and I set up a test site. http://162.144.36.76/testing/ . That was some great advice. Talk about creating peace of mind???

Robin W

@robin-w

great, come back with your next query !

thecatholicwoman
    Participant

@thecatholicwoman

Thanks Robin.

1) Changing bbp last post 🙂 ( You have no idea how impressed I was when I found out that you were the author when you responded) to have the freshness column show the title of the last topic, the user name and the date if all three are possible.

2) Changing the font in the forum index to match my website font

3) What plugin is the best option to create a front end registration form that looks like a traditional social media registration?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar