Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to show only full names instead of usernames?

• I am searching for a way to show the author with his or full name instead of the username.

Is there a way to hack the template to do that? Or a plugin?

Alternatively, is there a way to make the full name the default setting for all users?

I already tried using the Use Display Name plugin, but it had no effect. Probably because it was written for an older version.

I’m using bbPress 1.0 RC2 integrated (not deep) with WPMU 2.7.1 and Buddypress.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

bbPress uses the display name by default for most functions where the user needs to be identified by name. Check how the default template does it.

The only time the user login is shown is if the user has no display name set.

Weird… I have one user where only the login name is used, but another one where the display name is shown. I’ll come back to that if I find out what the difference between those two is.

But in the meantime, another problem arose: How do I access the login name when the display name is shown? :) I need the login name to build the link to the user’s buddypress profile page. Is there a template tag which (always) returns the login name?

Found the difference: The user for whom only the login name is shown indeed does not have a bbpress display name, but a buddy press display name. I’m not exactly sure why one display name got transported over to bbpress and the other did not, but I guess that is not a topic for this forum.

I’m still searching for a way to get the login name for users with a set display name, though…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar