Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

how to manage a forum with bbpress

• I have bbpress(0.8.2) integration with wordpress(2.2.1).

I did not have any forum management before I add a forum to my previous wordpress website. Number of users are increasing daily. So as I did not have any experience with management of a forum, I have some problems.

In the beginning I installed to standard version of bbpress. After one month of forum experience, I want to add moderation plugin. Because my users are not experienced forum users. I have a range from middle school students to company owners or retired workers.

Some of the users sends strange messages, which I dont want to see on my forum.

Some of them do not allow forum rules. And some of them dont know how to use a forum. Namely when they have a new question, they write “I know it is not related to the subject …”.

I think what I need it to make the all messages for new users, moderated. Or all messages are moderated. I dont know why but the moderation plugin do not work with latest version of bbpress. So I have to uninstall the plugin and make messages un-moderated.

I will also try “move it” plugin, for unrelated messages to subject of message.

But what is the best management style for such a community. I think bbpress.org do not need moderation of messages, because at least its community know how to use a forum.

Is it better, not to waste my time to manage the forum. Namely no moderation to messages or just live what ever people writes to the forum. As I said before this is my first forum, and I also dont want people to use msn-type language usage. Am I fascist :) ?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • I don’t think that you are a fascist for wanting to have some control, but that is why most forums promote ‘moderators’ to help with the duties of using a forum. If it is too much for yourself, promote a user in your forum to be a moderator and help out (hense, I am a moderator here at bbPress.org).

The plugins will allow you to control what can be said in your forum (mdawaffe even has a language filter plugin), but that is only half the matter. I don’t believe any forum software will give you the ‘fascist’ tools to control exactly what people do and say, but there is a plugin here as well (can’t remember the name) that can have you give ‘warnings’ to members that don’t follow the rules before banning them.

Take a look over in the ‘extend’ tab of this forum for the plugins that might help you with your controlling tasks, but try promoting a moderator as well.

My 2 cents.

Trent

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar