Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to Make bbPress look for different template files?

• tylertervooren
    Participant

@tylertervooren

bbPress Geniuses! I need your help!

According to the theming docs, bbPress is designed to look for a series of layout templates in this order:

‘plugin-bbpress.php’,
    ‘bbpress.php’,
    ‘forums.php’,
    ‘forum.php’,
    ‘generic.php’,
    ‘page.php’

The standard way to change your layout is to build a layout, and name it one of those so that bbPress finds it and displays it. This is simple, but it does not work if you use the “Headway Theme (or others like it) because it does not use traditional page layouts. Instead, layouts are created dynamically and output to php (somewhere… working with Headway to figure out where). This means I have no static php to copy or modify.

HERE’S WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP

My idea to fix this is to change the way bbPress looks for template files. The easy way to do this is just modify the code, but then it would be overwritten every time I update.

I think the best way to do this is to write a little plugin or a function for my functions.php file that modifies that list above to look for a different file than page.php.

But… I’m not so good with php, and hoping someone could help me figure out how to write that function or filter or whatever it would be called. 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar